Create a rhythm track to match my out of time guitar!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gavspav

Create a rhythm track to match my out of time guitar!

Post by gavspav » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:26 pm

I seem to be in the position of wanting to create a rhythm track to match a recording I have already made.
It speeds up and slows down and drifts in places but that's the way I want it for now.
It's beyond my drumming skills to keep up with it though and moving notes around one by one is pretty challenging and time consuming.

If I warp my out of time recording so its in time, then apply that warp to an in time drum track, then unwarp the original recording, will that get me where I want? Or do I need to apply inverse warp? Can't get my head around it.

Anyone know what i'm on about?

McAnix

Re: Create a rhythm track to match my out of time guitar!

Post by McAnix » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:56 am

Try automating the bpm and then sequencing your drum part?

siliconarc

Re: Create a rhythm track to match my out of time guitar!

Post by siliconarc » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:03 am

gavspav wrote:If I warp my out of time recording so its in time, then apply that warp to an in time drum track, then unwarp the original recording, will that get me where I want? Or do I need to apply inverse warp? Can't get my head around it.
you're not far off with that idea. in arrange view, try this:

– warp the guitar clip so the tempo is completely rigid to the master tempo
– change the clip from Slave to Master (below Warp button)

now the master tempo will show as automated and you can add regular midi parts on-grid and they will play along with the guitar's ups and downs.

and if your guitar clip now sounds a little odd, duplicate it, unwarp the new dupe and deactivate the Master clip – the Master clip will still control the tempo.