Routing audio effects to aux sends of my external mixer

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mountaineer

Routing audio effects to aux sends of my external mixer

Post by mountaineer » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:15 am

hy everyone!
my problem is:
I have a play differently model1 mixer and an antelope orion32+ soundcard (both connected via d-sub connectors). The mixer has six stereo channels and two send/return channels. I'm routing the returns to channels 13/14 and 15/16 (as described from the playdifferently user guide). So far no problem...but: Is there a possibility to route the internal audio effects of ableton somehow to the dedicated Aux Sends "1 & 2" of each channel on top of the channel strip at my external mixer???
User guide description für the outputs of my Mixer:
1/2 = Mix L/R
3/4 = Aux 1 L/R
5/6 = Aux 2 L/R
7/8 = Cue B L/R

My head is about to break, please let me know your suggested solutions...

Thx in advance

Stromkraft

Re: Routing audio effects to aux sends of my external mixer

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:43 pm

mountaineer wrote:Is there a possibility to route the internal audio effects of ableton somehow to the dedicated Aux Sends "1 & 2" of each channel on top of the channel strip at my external mixer???
User guide description für the outputs of my Mixer:
1/2 = Mix L/R
3/4 = Aux 1 L/R
5/6 = Aux 2 L/R
7/8 = Cue B L/R

My head is about to break, please let me know your suggested solutions...
You are somewhat vague on where the signal originates and where you you want it to end up. If you can describe this everything will follow.
Make some music!

mountaineer

Post by mountaineer » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:17 pm

hi Stromkraft:
the signal (audio effect) comes from Live (Ableton), and I want it it lying at the aux send-potis 1&2 of each channel strip

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:02 pm

mountaineer wrote:hi Stromkraft:
the signal (audio effect) comes from Live (Ableton), and I want it it lying at the aux send-potis 1&2 of each channel strip
"comes from Live" is vague. Where in Live exactly? Where to, from this place in Live, does the audio output go exactly? Does it go to the master? If so where physically have you connected the master in the audio preferences? i e the 1/2 channels of the master goes to which channels in your audio interface or alternatively your software mixer?

I'm assuming for now that your signal's source starts inside Live? And this signal is sent to an effect in a return track inside Live and this source is also sent to the master from the (source) track fader?

If this is the setup and you want the effected signal to go to your aux, you need to change the output of that return track to a channel in your audio interface that goes directly via analog connection to the input of that aux (assuming this is an analog mixer). So if you have connected the channel 3 output in your audio interface to the input of this aux (or 3/4 to aux 1 and aux 2) the returns output should be sent to this channel.

But to give you proper advice I'd need to know the origin of every signal involved signal source and where you want this to end up. It's a all matter of utilizing your audio interface outputs and how you have, or want to, connect these outputs to the inputs of the mixer. Possibly also the outputs of the mixer to your audio interface inputs.

If you have many channels in your mixer maybe you'd like to ignore the internal Live mixer and mix everything externally. This is how our studio used to be setup, but now it's more of a hybrid..

In this case the details matter, so the better you can describe your signal chains the clearer it will be for you, as well as for others, what your options could be.
Make some music!