Clips in return tracks

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DonMendelo

Clips in return tracks

Post by DonMendelo » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:34 am

Hi everyone,

Something came to my mind and I honestly don't know if someone ever mentioned it or not (most likely yes).
So here it is :
What if you could set sort of clips in the return tracks ? Clips that contain different configurations of a single effect.
Now let's say that a synth goes into your return track, and you set an auto filter on this one. One clip of the return track automate the filter to decrease it's frequency progressively, the other sets off the LFO.
BOOM ! Now you can switch between both configurations of your filter like you would switch between two audio or midi clips.
(Also instantly switching effects configuration is something i'd want to do in Ableton)

Ok, now I suppose someone in the community or even at Ableton HQ has already thought of that, so I guess it's either possible and I don't know it or it's not for a good reason.
So can it work that way ?

Hope to get my answer here !

Stromkraft

Re: Clips in return tracks

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:21 am

Basically what you can do is to use dummy clips in an audio track. You send the output of the return to this audio track and do your processing there, so the return is just a buss.

There's also some MFL devices that can do preset morphing quite well, though their names elude me at the moment. It's possible these could be used right in the return. I think I've done something like that in the past.
Make some music!