reduce screen informations

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Post Reply
Bartho
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:44 am

reduce screen informations

Post by Bartho » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:54 pm

Is it possible to make own screen-surfaces of ableton controllers like Yeco?
There is to much to see, and too small. I just need elements of this, but bigger.
I would just need the scenes and the clip audio view and the transport buttons
But BIGGEE, this is all to small on my 13'' Laptop...

Angstrom
Posts: 14661
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: reduceinformations

Post by Angstrom » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:25 pm

For my live rig I made a heads up display for my laptop using Max. It just shows the current tempo, what my controllers are doing, status info etc. I can touch it and change parameters if I really want to but mostly its info display. I use hardware for pressing buttons and turning dials.
There are a lot of pre made Max examples for things like transport controls, current clip info, etc. It's still a very uncomfortable learning curve if you want to pick up their visual programming metaphor. Its not impossible though.

But if you want to make a full clip grid or something as complex as Yeco ... Dont go there. Not unless you want to express your creativity via programming and only ever make demo music for that programming.

ecuk
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:49 pm

Re: reduceinformations

Post by ecuk » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:56 am

It isn’t exactly Yeco, but if you mostly just want things bigger you might try the ‘Zoom Display’ setting in Live’s Preferences, in the Look & Feel tab.

You can then hide the browser and detail view using the little triangle thingies in the upper left and lower right of the main window—they are called ‘selector buttons’ in the user manual—and using the little yellow selectors to the right of the master mixer section you can also hide things such as the routing, sends, returns, etc.

Doing all of this would leave you with little more than the transport controls, the clips and the master track (with its scenes)—all much bigger because of the zoom.
MacBook Pro, macOS Mojave 10.14.6, 2.7GHz i7, 16GB – Live Suite 10.1, Max 8.0.8, Push 2, ATH-M50x

Bartho
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:44 am

Re: reduceinformations

Post by Bartho » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:08 am

ecuk wrote:It isn’t exactly Yeco, but if you mostly just want things bigger you might try the ‘Zoom Display’ setting in Live’s Preferences, in the Look & Feel tab.

You can then hide the browser and detail view using the little triangle thingies in the upper left and lower right of the main window—they are called ‘selector buttons’ in the user manual—and using the little yellow selectors to the right of the master mixer section you can also hide things such as the routing, sends, returns, etc.

Doing all of this would leave you with little more than the transport controls, the clips and the master track (with its scenes)—all much bigger because of the zoom.
Hi Ekuk
Thanks for reply.
Of course I did all that. But its not a good way for me.
Best C

Bartho
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:44 am

Re: reduceinformations

Post by Bartho » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:12 am

Angstrom wrote:For my live rig I made a heads up display for my laptop using Max. It just shows the current tempo, what my controllers are doing, status info etc. I can touch it and change parameters if I really want to but mostly its info display. I use hardware for pressing buttons and turning dials.
There are a lot of pre made Max examples for things like transport controls, current clip info, etc. It's still a very uncomfortable learning curve if you want to pick up their visual programming metaphor. Its not impossible though.

But if you want to make a full clip grid or something as complex as Yeco ... Dont go there. Not unless you want to express your creativity via programming and only ever make demo music for that programming.
Hi Angstrom
This sounds interesting.
What is "metaphor"? Is it a max for Live application?
the head up display wich you made with M4l: did you made itr as a Midi effekt, instrument or audio effekt? I guess no...or are there still other possibilities to use max for live?

What I need is just the below window withe the audio waveform, the Scene Tabs (but has not to be vertical row) and the info tab.
Best C

ecuk
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:49 pm

Re: reduceinformations

Post by ecuk » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:01 pm

Bartho wrote:Of course I did all that. But its not a good way for me.
Oh well, I did suspect that you might have already tried the zoom display idea, but I thought I should suggest it in case you had not.

Given that you have already tried it, +1 to everything that Angstrom said.
MacBook Pro, macOS Mojave 10.14.6, 2.7GHz i7, 16GB – Live Suite 10.1, Max 8.0.8, Push 2, ATH-M50x

H20nly
Posts: 15836
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: reduceinformations

Post by H20nly » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:30 pm

Bartho wrote:What is "metaphor"? Is it a max for Live application?
no, in this context it's a term used in programming/design.

here is an example that references using that term when tweaking and/or creating a GUI
"In user interface design, an interface metaphor is a set of user interface visuals, actions and procedures that exploit specific knowledge that users already have of other domains. The purpose of the interface metaphor is to give the user instantaneous knowledge about how to interact with the user interface."
in essence, Angstrom using that verbiage in his response gives you a taste of the steep learning curve he alluded to.

Post Reply