Ableton DJ looking for browser help

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bugspotter

Ableton DJ looking for browser help

Post by bugspotter » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:12 pm

I've been searching for ages for a way to make this work. Hopefully I haven't missed a post somewhere that has an answer.

I'm trying to find a way to access the browser without touching the laptop while I'm djing. I really don't like using the laptop while I'm playing. I learned on turntables and I just don't like getting sucked into the laptop and fiddling with a mouse. I need to turn knobs. I am currently using Live 9 with a Push 1. With the updates to Push 2 it looked like I would be able to access my tracks through the Places directory but I can't load songs through this method. The Push wants to load effects or devices but won't allow a clip to be loaded to the track. Is there something I'm missing? If not, do I have to upgrade to a Push 2? Not sure if I want to lay out that kind of cash just to access the browser. Especially since I have been eyeing the Pioneer XDJs. Unless I'm wrong, I can use one of these to access Ableton in way that would solve my problem. It would also give me a chance to work with these units which are almost mandatory for playing out in the area where I live. To be honest, any of the bigger clubs round here don't look to favourably on controller setups, etc. and CDJ 2000 is the standard.

Any thoughts?

jestermgee

Re: Ableton DJ looking for browser help

Post by jestermgee » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:01 am

Yeah the issue is Live can load samples and even instrument racks using Push but cannot load ALC files (clip files) or whole projects or channel saves (ALS).

It has been asked for since probably day 2 of Push MK1 release years ago, hasn't ever happened which I agree makes the browser half useless and is one of the biggest disappointments about Push especially for the possibility of loading pre-formatted and warped loop clips on the fly.

markwphoto

Post by markwphoto » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:09 am

I've come up with a way to DJ with live and Push 2 without having to look at the computer. I can load tracks, do effects, etc. I did a series of Youtube videos about it at the following links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtX7im64RTA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJftG3I-GSQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgmTVi80bg8

mag101

Post by mag101 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:41 pm

Apologies for the necro-bump but ive been searching a bit on here & this is the only thread that i could find related to my question.

Is Push2 the only controller solution for loading samples from the ableton browser without using the computer directly?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:57 pm

AFAIK yes. If you too are afraid of mice then Push can probably help somewhat with that and keep your hands off it for a few minutes at least.

mag

Post by mag » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:35 am

seems odd to me that there is no other option but push2 for scrolling through the browser and loading samples/tracks.

to be clear - im not talking about something that displays the list of samples/tracks on an external screen, like push2 does - just a controller that allows you to control the scroll/load from the ableton browser on the computer screen from beyond arms length.
Mag

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:13 pm

Prob cuz if you need to look at the screen anyway you may as well reach the extra 6 inches and grab a mouse. I have a mouse on my midi keyboard draw as it slides out from the desk and makes me just a little far away from the main mouse, so I have a second to solve this issue.

You can also get creative if you want using something like Bome MIDI Translator and setup spare buttons on your MiDI controller to send keyboard movements and key combos to allow you to nav the browser like using the arrows I guess. I just feel a mouse is pretty well designed to do this already.