Midi Controller With VST Assistance

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
markcagatandavis

Midi Controller With VST Assistance

Post by markcagatandavis » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:20 am

Hi Guys,

I hope you are all doing well!! I just got an FCB-1010 and added a Uno chip. She is all programmed up and confirmed I can get it working within Ableton and with midi tracks.

My issue is, I guess it doesn't work how I wanted to use it, this is most likely due to my lack of understanding.

Scenario:
I am a guitarist/bass player and I use a lot of vst amp modelling software. The main reason I got this pedal was so I can control the vst pedal stomp boxes, wah, volume, etc.
Now, since this is a guitar I use a standard audio track, add Amplitube 4 and record away.My issue is, the midi controller won't work on amplitube (or any vst for that matter) on the audio track.
If I add amplitube 4 to a midi track, I can use the midi controller with amplitude all I like.

Now, from my understanding the reason this happens is because an audio track has no midi input, thus I can't control amplitube. And obviously a midi track does, which is why I can control amplitube.

My question is, is there a way I can use the midi controller on an audio track? Or what is the best practice that would allow me to record my guitar and use amplitube with the midi controller live?

Chain:
Guitar > Audio-Interface > Amplitube > Audio track > Amplitube > Master : Everything works but the midi controller
Guitar > Audio-Interface > Amplitube > midi track > Amplitube > Master: Midi works, but no DI from guitar (since this is a midi track obviously)

Can I some how route a midi track and audio track together so I can control amplitube live and send to a bus or something? I just can't think of anything...

Thanks,
Mark.D

markcagatandavis

Re: Midi Controller With VST Assistance

Post by markcagatandavis » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:05 am

All good, I have it working!!!

In case anyone wants to know.

Step 1: Create your audio track as per normal with chain:
Guitar > Interface > Ableton > Audio track > Amplitube > Master
Step 2: Create a midi track
Midi track: Change Monitor to In
Midi track: Change Midi To from ALL to Audio track that has Amplitube

From here, your audio track should be able to see the midi controller and you can program the vst to respond to midi.

Note: The basic routing of ableton is, if you place a vst into an audio track and it has a midi out component. The midi track will automatically see the midi out of the vst that is equipped on the audio track.

Thanks,
Mark.D

MIAR

Post by MIAR » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:01 pm

Cool. Good to know ;>

MIAR

Post by MIAR » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:04 pm

Actually. Got me thinking. Can you control a WAH FX by using your Keyboards Sustain Pedal for instance?

Mine seems to only respond to on/off but wondering is there a way for the midi to recognize gradual increase/decreased positions on the Pedal

Thanks