Discussion: Are the default CC values on EQ8 wrong?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Internet Culture

Discussion: Are the default CC values on EQ8 wrong?

Post by Internet Culture » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:12 pm

I was playing around with EQ8 and found that, with the expanded view, the default CC values seem to be in the wrong place.

Many MIDI controllers use a 2x4 grid of encoders, which seems to be perfect for the expanded EQ8 view - but the CC values used to control EQ8 seem to be in the wrong place. (Note: Lots of MIDI controllers use CC22 - CC29 for the encoders because these have no specific use, so those are the values I chose in the explanation pictures I made. Using these values with a control script means instrument/midi racks with macros map perfectly. In fact, everything in Live seems to map pretty intuitively when using these values, with the exception of EQ8)

Check it out:

This is the EQ expanded view, with the default CC values (those set up to use with macro racks). Everything looks fine until we look at the values of the encoders on the average MIDI controller.

The knobs are mapped horizontally, rather than vertically like the EQ8 knobs. In order for EQ8 to work as expected, the CC values of the knobs would need to change to be the same as the controller setup. In its current state, moving the knob one would expect to change the frequency of band 2 instead increases the gain of band 1. This continues all the way down.

Sorry if this made no sense at all, or if this has already been said before. I did my best to explain everything and I hope this can attract the attention of some people at Ableton. Let me know what you think. Thanks for reading.

-IC