Play button always start at the beginning

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jay99

Play button always start at the beginning

Post by jay99 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:04 am

Hi,
In Session view, is it possible to start the clip where i put the marker?
Because wherever i put the marker, each time i hit the Play button, it always start at the beginning of the song...
Any idea?
Thank you.

Jay

Da hand

Re: Play button always start at the beginning

Post by Da hand » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:24 am

Normally, a clip will start playing from where you placed the start marker inside that same clip.

So first of all, when you say "the marker" do you mean the start marker? The little black flag you see in this picture:

Also just to be sure, are you sure you are playing and changing the start position of the exact same clip? Things you change in one clip (like the start position for example) will not be changed in any other clip - even if they contain the same audio reference.

To be sure that you have the correct clips "clips view" opened in the window at the bottom - i.e for the same clip you want to play - double click on the clip you want to play to open it's clip view.

jay99

Post by jay99 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:32 am

Hi Da Hand,
No, not the black flag.
For example, i want to listen the drum (with the other tracks) from a certain bar, i'm in the Piano Roll view and i click at the place where i want to edit the drum, a white marker appear, flashing between bleu and white, and when i hit spacebar, it always start from the beginning instead of where is the marker.
How do you paste a photo? i could make a screen shot and paste it here.
Thx.

Jay

jay99

Post by jay99 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:32 pm

Hi,
Here is a screen shot. I want to start playing at bar 7. So i click in the clip at bar 7, a marker appear, but when i hit Play button, it start from the beginning instead of bar 7 where the marker is.

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:21 am

jay99 wrote:Hi,
Here is a screen shot. I want to start playing at bar 7. So i click in the clip at bar 7, a marker appear, but when i hit Play button, it start from the beginning instead of bar 7 where the marker is.
The marker you show with the arrow is not the playhead in a clip, it's just the insert marker - you can even expand it to select a region in the clip. I know it may be a bit confusing because the Arrangement Playback Begins from the Arrangement Insert Marker, but still, not the clip's Insert Marker.

In Session View, when you hit Play, the clip will start playing from the clip Start Marker. In Arrangement View, there is no Play button for the clip, so the clip will start playing from wherever the Arrangement Insert Marker is positioned at that time.

In Session View you have two options to play from the middle of your clip:
1) Move the start marker where you want the clip to start playing
2) or, place your mouse cursor just below the loop brace of the clip (between the pink bar and the blue marker at the top of your picture), it will turn into a speaker. Move the speaker where you want to start playing from and click your mouse to play from that point.

jay99

Post by jay99 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:01 pm

Da hand wrote: ....In Session View you have two options to play from the middle of your clip:
1) Move the start marker where you want the clip to start playing
2) or, place your mouse cursor just below the loop brace of the clip (between the pink bar and the blue marker at the top of your picture), it will turn into a speaker. Move the speaker where you want to start playing from and click your mouse to play from that point.
Hi Da Hand,
When i do that, it will start the drum where i want, but the other clips start at the beginning...
Is there a way to hear only a part of the song (all the clip at the same time) that i want to edit?

Thx

alchemist2000

Post by alchemist2000 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:30 pm

I have the same question. haven't found an answer yet. anyone?

this was useful:
shift + spacebar plays back from where it was last stopped
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=204536

ft. MMI

Post by ft. MMI » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:27 pm

Use L-ctrl + shift to start at marker

nvm im just retarded

palindrom

Post by palindrom » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:02 am

hey guys, i dont really know what exactly do you need, but i found a solution to a similar problem with setting the playback start. there is a hidden option when you right-click the loop bar in th e arrangement view , which determines whether ableton will start playing playback from the beggining of that bar or the spot you choose with a marker.

Plasmoxy

Post by Plasmoxy » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:52 pm

Try Ctrl-Space, works for me perfectly (acts like that little speaker).

josh2020

Post by josh2020 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:57 pm

Place your marker and the hit option/alt spacebar on a MAC

oddeo

Post by oddeo » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:39 pm

I would love to find a workable solution too. The Push 2 Clip View allows me to turn a knob to move the start marker around when auditioning midi edits, but it sure would be nice to have the easy of playback in Session view that we have using the keyboard shortcuts in Arrangement view.

Sceda

Post by Sceda » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:00 pm

Go to the arrangement screen, on the main time roll, RIGHT-CLICK when the mouse become to speaker icon.

lunariverapr

Post by lunariverapr » Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:43 am

jay99 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:04 am
Hi,
In Session view, is it possible to start the clip where i put the marker?
Because wherever i put the marker, each time i hit the Play button, it always start at the beginning of the song...
Any idea?
Thank you.

Jay
Hi jay99, So I was having the same problem and stumbled with this forum looking for the answer. What I figure out as others have mention when your in clip view (where you edit midi data precisely) and you press play the clip starts playing from the start marker. So I figured if you move with the arrows the selection indicator (which is the blue/white blinking line.) You can do the following.

Hold down shift and by pressing the right or left arrow you'lll select an area. Then when you finish selecting the area you want to start the clip from, press CTRL + L or COMMAND + L for Mac to loop the area. (This will move the start marker to the beginning of the loop you created.) Hence when you press play it will start from the start marker.

The only draw back is that you'll have to be selecting and looping each part you want to start from inside the clip and when you finish you can hold down shift select the entire loop and then Loop it to finish.

I know its a bit to much but this helped me at least.

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:36 am

Have you guys emailed support about this? If you email them a good bug report with clear steps to reproduce the bug, they will file it and (eventually) the issue will be fixed. I've send them quite a few and some have already been fixed in recent beta releases.

I've just emailed them a report about this one, with a link to this thread. I've also included in my report a similar issue, where in multi-clip editing the selection always plays form the start, rather than the cursor position (basically the same behaviour as the OP reports here).

I'll let you guys know what support say when they reply to my email.