Export MIDI issue

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
8E

Re: Export MIDI issue

Post by 8E » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:41 pm

Stromkraft wrote: I meant that a potentially better way to move MIDI into another DAW is to send it out over the MIDI bus and record the MIDI directly into the other DAW when in sync. This will maintain minute timing. To be able to do this requires a good set up (and both DAWs obviously), but when needed it beats exporting.

MIDI Exports as they are now are limited to 96ppq. I think that's too crude for resolution, at least of you record MIDI from live performances, which I do.
Hm, that is indeed very interesting. I did routing ages ago, I might try it again.
If I may know, what is "ppq"?
MacOS Mojave MacBook Pro (15", Mid 2015), 2,5 GHz i7, 16GB RAM
Live Suite 10-latest + Push 1
U-PHORIA UMC204HD

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:03 pm

8E wrote:
Stromkraft wrote: I meant that a potentially better way to move MIDI into another DAW is to send it out over the MIDI bus and record the MIDI directly into the other DAW when in sync. This will maintain minute timing. To be able to do this requires a good set up (and both DAWs obviously), but when needed it beats exporting.

MIDI Exports as they are now are limited to 96ppq. I think that's too crude for resolution, at least of you record MIDI from live performances, which I do.
Hm, that is indeed very interesting. I did routing ages ago, I might try it again.
I think PPQ or PPQN is "pulses per quarter note". These days I guess it's TPQN: "ticks per quarter note" or something like that. Basically this is a measure of time resolution. So is relative to tempo.
Make some music!

8E

Post by 8E » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:28 am

Stromkraft wrote:
8E wrote:

I think PPQ or PPQN is "pulses per quarter note". These days I guess it's TPQN: "ticks per quarter note" or something like that. Basically this is a measure of time resolution. So is relative to tempo.
Thank you for the clarification, good to know. I guess that if I plan to improvise "tempo free" than it is better (in the case I will export MIDI clips) to have higher tempo values, doubled, 240 bpm.
U-PHORIA UMC204HD

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:44 am

8E wrote:
Thank you for the clarification, good to know. I guess that if I plan to improvise "tempo free" than it is better (in the case I will export MIDI clips) to have higher tempo values, doubled, 240 bpm.
Well, that was the old trick back in the days of limited sequencer resolution. But in Live this makes for a world of hurt as you typically need to make use of all time related info in the GUI and the related concepts. If you export I think you just have to accept the 96 TPQN resolution limit and live with it. If this is a problem depends on your needs of exact timing.
Make some music!

8E

Post by 8E » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:24 am

Stromkraft wrote:If you export I think you just have to accept the 96 TPQN resolution limit and live with it. If this is a problem depends on your needs of exact timing.
Is that one dotted 128-th?
I think it will be sufficient. I am working exclusively with music that will be notated and performed, so no so high resolution is needed.
But good to know that these limits exist.
U-PHORIA UMC204HD

broc

Post by broc » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:24 pm

8E wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:If you export I think you just have to accept the 96 TPQN resolution limit and live with it. If this is a problem depends on your needs of exact timing.
I think it will be sufficient. I am working exclusively with music that will be notated and performed, so no so high resolution is needed.
96 ticks per quarter note are 384 ticks per 4/4 bar, so the resolution is 1/384 note.

ecuk

Post by ecuk » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:54 pm

broc wrote:
8E wrote:
96 ticks per quarter note are 384 ticks per 4/4 bar, so the resolution is 1/384 note.
Because notes are traditionally powers of two, I believe this should be called a dotted 1/512 note.
MacBook Pro, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, 2.3GHz i7-1068NG7, 32GB – Live Suite 12.0.1, Max 8.6.2, Push 2, Scarlett 4i4

8E

Post by 8E » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:01 pm

ecuk wrote:
broc wrote: 96 ticks per quarter note are 384 ticks per 4/4 bar, so the resolution is 1/384 note.
Because notes are traditionally powers of two, I believe this should be called a dotted 1/512 note.
Oh,yes, that is right. Sorry for confusion.
U-PHORIA UMC204HD

ippidippi

Post by ippidippi » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:35 am

i literally just figured it out. When you extend the beginning of your MIDI clip to a new start point, you are extending into the negative markers (you can observe this in the piano-roll. When the clip is selected, press the hotkey ctrl+J, which will set the 0 marker at the beginning of the newly extended start point.

Johnnyboy555

Post by Johnnyboy555 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:54 am

Hey so i dont know if you're still having this problem but the velocity on my midi was turned down and all over the place. I control-a'd and made all my velocity match. Then i turned it up about halfway and after i rendered it everything was working. After everything was turned up a little bit it seemed that the midi was better rendered cause it was louder. I hope this helps.