How to fully incorporate iPad into Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Chauhan

How to fully incorporate iPad into Live

Post by Chauhan » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:51 am

I am having problems trying to figure out how to fully incorporate an iPad into my set-up.

I use Live (PC) with a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 and an NI Komplete Kontrol S49 Mk2, and would like to know how to use my midi keyboard to control the synths on my iPad AND have the audio from the iPad routed to the Scarlett (or to a separate mixer I have that goes into the Scarlett).

At the moment, I have my S49 keyboard able to control the iPad synths, but not able to route audio from the iPad (which just has a lightning output).

The S49 connects to a powered USB hub, which is directly connected to the iPad via a Camera Connection Kit.

The Scarlett is connected via a different USB hub straight into my PC, as I need it that way to play the VST's in Live.

Am I doing something wrong here? Any help would be much appreciated!

AustinThumper

Re: How to fully incorporate iPad into Live

Post by AustinThumper » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:46 pm

What has worked for me is to use a class-compliant USB soundcard with the iPad. I use a Steinberg UR22mkII but there are others. You connect the UR22 to the camera connection kit USB, mk49 midi out to midi in of the UR22, and audio out of the UR22 to an input on the scarlett.
Live 9.6 Suite / Max 7.2 / REAPER / Reaktor 6 / Win10 64bit / 4.2GHz i7 / 32GB DRAM / SSD / 828mk3 / 4 x HR824 / QX25 / HPD-15 / Sonor club kit / Mother-32 and a growing Eurorack.

cfr

Re: How to fully incorporate iPad into Live

Post by cfr » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:32 pm

Check out the studiomux app. You install a small server program on the computer and a vst and it will route digital audio and midi through the lightning connector. It works well when I want to integrate the iPad into ableton