synth question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jonahmo

synth question

Post by jonahmo » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:46 am

Sometimes synths have a loud attack/volume but then if you play another note while the first note is still being held, even with just a tiny bit of overlap, that second note is way quieter/has a different tone. I'm wondering if it's something that can be adjusted in the synth parameters or elsewhere, so that the notes all have a similar tone/volume/attack whether they're overlapping or not.

Da hand

Re: synth question

Post by Da hand » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:08 am

What you want to look for on your synth is options like - Legato, Portamento / Glide - that will tie and bend notes in certain ways.

Here is a good explanation of how they work to get you started:

https://goldmidi.com/legato-portamento- ... explained/

jonahmo

Post by jonahmo » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:36 am

Awesome - thank you! That solves my problem pretty much. On a related note though, when a synth is in single voice mode and glide is set to off or portamento, and you hold down a note, then press and unpress a second note, the first note no longer plays. But if it's in glide mode then the first note plays again once the second note is unpressed. I would like it if I could do that but not in glide mode. I think I've used some synths that sound like they're doing this. Any ideas on how to get an effect like that?

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:01 am

What you want then is Legato instead of Glide. Glide will introduce a slide to the pitch, whereas Legato will just switch smoothly between the notes, but without a slide. It really depends on the synth you are using. Some have Legato and Glide as separate settings. Some have them combined.

jonahmo

Post by jonahmo » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:57 am

Oh, cool! So this synth in particular, Live's built-in Simpler>Synth Lead>Ring Modular, doesn't have a legato option, right, and there's no way I can get that effect with it?

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:48 pm

jonahmo wrote:On a related note though, when a synth is in single voice mode and glide is set to off or portamento, and you hold down a note, then press and unpress a second note, the first note no longer plays. But if it's in glide mode then the first note plays again once the second note is unpressed. I would like it if I could do that but not in glide mode.
This what is called note priority. There are three types, based on the circuits classic analog synth keyboards offered. In synths with digital keyboard scanning you can often choose between the three. In synths with analog scanning you are stuck with what the mfr provided. Each type of priority requires slightly different fingering techniques when playing. It's one aspect of monosynths that is really different than polysynths.

1. High note priority -- highest held note is heard until released. Play all the notes you like below and nothing happens.

2. Low note priority -- lowest held note is heard until released. Play all the notes you like above and nothing happens.

3. Last note priority ---> this typically will cause the behavior you described. Hold the first note while playing the second and then release the second. The first should not sound again. This requires you to play each note every time, making fast trills difficult.

So check in the manuals of each synth you use to see what they support. Some synths can select the priority on a per patch basis which is definitely the most flexible.

ecuk

Post by ecuk » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:28 pm

If I understand what you are looking for, you might try leaving Simpler’s glide mode on but setting the glide time (just below the glide mode setting) as low as it will go. I believe this is 0.1 milliseconds, which turns out to be only 4 or 5 samples at a sample rate of 44100 or 48000 and should be barely noticeable.
MacBook Pro, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, 2.3GHz i7-1068NG7, 32GB – Live Suite 12.0.1, Max 8.6.2, Push 2, Scarlett 4i4