Workflow for vertical zooming of arrangement view?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SvenH

Workflow for vertical zooming of arrangement view?

Post by SvenH » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:25 am

There are a few very nice commands for zooming *horizontally* in the arrangement view, but I have not yet found the best way for me to zoom vertically. I want to be able to quickly zoom in for work that needs seeing the details of one or a few tracks and zoom out to get an overview of all tracks. How do you do this?

For instance, I like the possibility in the midi editor to be able to click and drag the note ruler horizontally to change the vertical zoom. It would be nice with some kind of similar, easy accessible way of zooming the arrangement view.

Tarekith

Re: Workflow for vertical zooming of arrangement view?

Post by Tarekith » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:59 pm

In Live 10, pressing Z will zoom in on your current selection horizontally and vertically, would that work? Then it's just Z again to return to your last zoom state, or Shift+Z to zoom out the whole project.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

SvenH

Post by SvenH » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:16 pm

Tarekith wrote:In Live 10, pressing Z will zoom in on your current selection horizontally and vertically, would that work? Then it's just Z again to return to your last zoom state, or Shift+Z to zoom out the whole project.
Z and Shift+Z is one of the nice commands i refer to for *horizontal* zooming, i does not affect vertical zooming on my system (Windows). Is there any setting that makes it zoom vertically too?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:53 pm

It will only zoom vertically to fill the arrange space, so I think it depends on how many tracks you selection is spanning.
Tarekith

SvenH

Post by SvenH » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:34 pm

Tarekith wrote:It will only zoom vertically to fill the arrange space, so I think it depends on how many tracks you selection is spanning.
Even if I select *only one* track and have plenty of space around it vertically it still won't zoom vertically. It would be interesting to know how this works for other Live users. Is this a bug on my system?

oxygen23

Post by oxygen23 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:55 pm

Yes, even with new V10 features Live's navigation work-flow in arrangement view is pretty basic and bare bones compared to other DAWs.
You can, however zoom vertically with ALT+ scroll wheel on selected track.

There is also "S" key command which will fit all content to screen but it's pretty useless currently as it isn't reversable (toggle) to previous state. Live is still really far behind in navigation department and customization when arranging, compared to pretty much any major DAW out there, unfortunately.

Hopefully, we will see more improvements in this are in 10.x versions (perhaps even customizable key commands?)

SvenH

Post by SvenH » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:33 am

SvenH wrote:
Tarekith wrote:It will only zoom vertically to fill the arrange space, so I think it depends on how many tracks you selection is spanning.
Even if I select *only one* track and have plenty of space around it vertically it still won't zoom vertically. It would be interesting to know how this works for other Live users. Is this a bug on my system?
Additionally, I just checked the keyboard shortcuts in the manual. For Z it says "Zoom to Arrangement Time Selection", so I guess this command is not meant to zoom vertically.

SvenH

Post by SvenH » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:35 am

oxygen23 wrote:Yes, even with new V10 features Live's navigation work-flow in arrangement view is pretty basic and bare bones compared to other DAWs.
You can, however zoom vertically with ALT+ scroll wheel on selected track.

There is also "S" key command which will fit all content to screen but it's pretty useless currently as it isn't reversable (toggle) to previous state. Live is still really far behind in navigation department and customization when arranging, compared to pretty much any major DAW out there, unfortunately.

Hopefully, we will see more improvements in this are in 10.x versions (perhaps even customizable key commands?)
Not really what I am after, but thanks for trying to help!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:25 am

alt+scroll wheel
Ableton Forum Moderator

SvenH

Post by SvenH » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:18 pm

[jur] wrote:alt+scroll wheel
Way too high leverage to be useful. It's like the zoom level change is huge as soon as I barely touch the scroll wheel. And I don't want to change the Windows mouse settings since all my other programs using the scroll wheel behaves as expected.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:32 pm

SvenH wrote:Additionally, I just checked the keyboard shortcuts in the manual. For Z it says "Zoom to Arrangement Time Selection", so I guess this command is not meant to zoom vertically.
Sorry about that, the Z key functionality changed a few times over the beta period, I was remembering an earlier version of how it worked.
Tarekith

SvenH

Post by SvenH » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:37 pm

Tarekith wrote:
SvenH wrote:Additionally, I just checked the keyboard shortcuts in the manual. For Z it says "Zoom to Arrangement Time Selection", so I guess this command is not meant to zoom vertically.
Sorry about that, the Z key functionality changed a few times over the beta period, I was remembering an earlier version of how it worked.
Too bad that functionality went out, it sounds like something I would have found useful.

kdogg456

Post by kdogg456 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:12 am

There is a way 8) Check out this m4l plug in http://www.noisemaker.academy/vertical- ... shortcuts/ . If you're on macOS then I highly recommend getting Keyboard Maestro and Better Touch Tool. You can basically make something similar to macro actions in Cubase. Also, the Selected Track Control midi script is very helpful for key commands for soloing tracks / unsoloing all tracks etc...

With all of these combined I could finally make the move to using Ableton's arrange like I was used to with Cubase / Logic for the most part.

dougdi

Post by dougdi » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:40 pm

+1 for Keyboard Maestro - it's indispensable for everything I do!
kdogg456 wrote:There is a way 8) Check out this m4l plug in http://www.noisemaker.academy/vertical- ... shortcuts/ . If you're on macOS then I highly recommend getting Keyboard Maestro and Better Touch Tool. You can basically make something similar to macro actions in Cubase. Also, the Selected Track Control midi script is very helpful for key commands for soloing tracks / unsoloing all tracks etc...

With all of these combined I could finally make the move to using Ableton's arrange like I was used to with Cubase / Logic for the most part.
Doug

damoosic

Post by damoosic » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:03 am

Been years looking for this: Select one track by clicking on the track name area. CMD + A (select all), and then.... option + scroll.

Voila! :D