Best way to slice up an entire song

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
antkn33

Best way to slice up an entire song

Post by antkn33 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:34 pm

New to Ableton. Using version 9. I have a single drum track as a wav file. I would like to slice that up into sections of the song. I would like to end up with separate audio files for each section. Simpler seems to be more for beats.
What would be the best way of doing this?
Thanks

ecuk

Re: Best way to slice up an entire song

Post by ecuk » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:48 pm

You might want to use a true audio waveform editor such as the cross-platform, free and open source Audacity. It might not be as pretty as some others, but it will get the job done.

Live isn’t really intended to be a waveform editor, but it does allow you to specify an external ‘sample editor’—such as Audacity—in the file and folder preferences.
MacBook Pro, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, 2.3GHz i7-1068NG7, 32GB – Live Suite 12.0.1, Max 8.6.2, Push 2, Scarlett 4i4

jeblo05

Post by jeblo05 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:20 pm

Check GlyphX pro. The following video explains how to (starts @15:30)
https://youtu.be/EBAglKYTOe0

It‘s equal slices, though...

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:56 pm

I was going to say that!

Cheers
D

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:52 pm

is the audiofile warped correctly? Does it play along to the click or to other loops correctly, in time?

If not, learn about warping first.

If yes, I would drop the file into arrangement view, cut it into sections. Then select them all and drop them into session view. Then select all and consolidate them. This will write a new audiofiles for each of those clips into a folder in your project.

antkn33

Post by antkn33 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:07 pm

pepezabala wrote:is the audiofile warped correctly? Does it play along to the click or to other loops correctly, in time?

If not, learn about warping first.

If yes, I would drop the file into arrangement view, cut it into sections. Then select them all and drop them into session view. Then select all and consolidate them. This will write a new audiofiles for each of those clips into a folder in your project.
Yeah warping needs a little help. But this sounds like what I was looking for. Thanks.