USB C to Firewire connection for Ultralite

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pepezabala

USB C to Firewire connection for Ultralite

Post by pepezabala » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:44 pm

Hi, I have a new laptop, a macbook pro (15 inch 2017) that has only the new USB C (thunderbolt) connectors. I also own the old FW Ultralite, original model from years ago. The one that connects only via Firewire.

I bought a TB3 to TB2 adaptor, and connected it to a TB2 to FW adaptor, and this one to a FW (800 - 400) cable. But this setup doesn´t seem to work. The ultralite does get power over the connection, but the laptop doesn´t recognize the soundcard.

I would really love to continue to use the ultralite with the new laptop.

Did anyone else get an old ultralite connected succesfully to a new macbook? Which setup would work?

fishmonkey

Re: USB C to Firewire connection for Ultralite

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:32 am

pepezabala wrote:Hi, I have a new laptop, a macbook pro (15 inch 2017) that has only the new USB C (thunderbolt) connectors. I also own the old FW Ultralite, original model from years ago. The one that connects only via Firewire.

I bought a TB3 to TB2 adaptor, and connected it to a TB2 to FW adaptor, and this one to a FW (800 - 400) cable. But this setup doesn´t seem to work. The ultralite does get power over the connection, but the laptop doesn´t recognize the soundcard.

I would really love to continue to use the ultralite with the new laptop.

Did anyone else get an old ultralite connected succesfully to a new macbook? Which setup would work?
theoretically that should work. are you sure the Ultralite is getting enough power? try it with the external power supply to check. if that's not the issue, then maybe you have a dodgy adaptor or cable?

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:03 am

Thank god, finally it worked!

I had to enable the motu drivers in some security setting in the system preferences. Now it´s running fine. No need for a new soundcard.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:08 am

ah yep, that process applies to all third party drivers in High Sierra now i think...

http://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/e ... igh-sierra