Create MIDI Note On command from two trigger sources

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pattobrien

Create MIDI Note On command from two trigger sources

Post by pattobrien » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:44 pm

Hi guys,

I'm stuck when trying to visualize this concept, wanted to see if anyone with more MIDI knowledge could help :)

I would like to find a way of creating one 'Note On' MIDI command, compiling the different parameters that make up a 'Note On' command, from two sources. For example, consider trying to trigger a synth-bass line from a kick drum. I'd like to create the 'key'/'note' portion of the command by holding down a note on a keyboard, but trigger the actual sending of the 'Note On' command every time the kick drum is hit. So, thinking like a guitar player, the keyboard note would only be 'strummed' every time the kick drum is hit.

Taking it one step further, I could have a pre-defined MIDI progression consisting of just the notes, and have the actual strumming triggered by the kick drum.. Essentially playing bass guitar and kick drum at once.

I have no idea if this is possible natively, maybe theres a plugin that could this. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks guys,

Pat

arretx

Re: Create MIDI Note On command from two trigger sources

Post by arretx » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:15 am

You could:

1. Put a trigger on the kick and connect it to a track with a bass instrument.
2. Drop a midi pitch shifter into the track.
3. Program automation to change that shifted pitch.

The kick would always play the same note, but the MIDI pitch shifter would change the pitch during the loop, provided the song is pre-arranged.
MacBook Air | Ableton Live 9.7.5 2017-10-02 | Advance 61 Keybaord w/VIP 3.0 | Launchpad Mini | Scarlett Focusrite 18i8 | iPad Pro / OnSong | Allen & Heath QU-32