correct gain staging in live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
scheffkoch

correct gain staging in live

Post by scheffkoch » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:05 pm

i’m a little bit confused right now so i need some assistance:

I have let’s say 4 tracks…each track peaks at -10db, the plugins (instrument, compressor and so on) don’t show any overload.
when I route these tracks to one audio channel this channel goes into the red…now to reduce this tracks' level the correct way would be to insert the utility plugin and reduce the level with that (and not reduce the level by lowering the fader), right? or should i lower the tracks' faders?

thanks for your input!
b
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

Angstrom

Re: correct gain staging in live

Post by Angstrom » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:45 pm

Lower the fader of each track.
The volume fader comes after each track's racks and effects so won't affect the gain relationships within each track.

multi-select the four tracks and while they are highlighted move them all downwards until the destination group (or Buss) is peaking at -10.

you can use the utility method if you prefer, but I prefer to see the gain relationships on the larger faders because they are more often visible.

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:00 pm

...thanks for your reply!!!

regarding your suggestion: wouldn't be a (big?) difference in sound if i'd lower the tracks' faders (because these tracks are now peaking at e.g. -15db) instead of using the utility on the sum of the tracks (on the group or buss)?...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:58 pm

It's the same outcome. As. I understand your case.

This is the signal flow

Audiostream->rack->audio-devices-> Track Volume Fader -->out to buss

You are asking if this is better.

Audiostream->rack->audio-devices-> Utility ->Track Volume Fader -->out to buss

If you have buss compression or any other nonlinear effect then for sure altering input amplitude will change the response, but whether it's track vol fader or a utility the outcome is equivalent.

AsI understand your routing

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:37 pm

Great advice, Angstrom. Madeleine Bloom also wrote about this, specifically "Gain Staging in Ableton Live Done Right".
Make some music!

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:56 am

"You are asking if this is better.

Audiostream->rack->audio-devices-> Utility ->Track Volume Fader -->out to buss"

...not really...my chain would be:

instrument tracks to buss - utility on buss to reduce the summing of the instrument tracks

..so i would insert only one utility plugin on the buss to reduce the instrument tracks' summing level...

evon

Post by evon » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:35 pm

I would think that gain staging would involve adjusting the signal gain to the mixer so as to get unity gain in each of the tracks initially. Then the mixer's volume faders can be used to control the levels of the mix.

Remember that gain relates to how hot the signal is going into the DAW, IMO.
fe real!

ark

Post by ark » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:55 pm

Multiplication distributes over addition.

Suppose you have four tracks, T1 through T4. You want to change the level of each track by multiplying it by a gain factor G. Then

(T1*G + T2*G + T3*G + T4*G) = (T1 + T2 + T3 + T4)*G

because multiplication distributes over addition. Therefore changing the level of each track individually and then summing them has same effect as changing the gain of the sum...

...with one proviso, namely that the intermediate results must not overflow their respective channels. Fortunately, Live does its internal computations in floating-point, and IIRC they offer a 60dB tolerance for overflow everywhere but the final output, in which the headroom depends on the hardware.

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:36 pm

...thanks!