Using Ableton Live 10 with ICON Platform M+ / X+ controllers

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aadaum

Using Ableton Live 10 with ICON Platform M+ / X+ controllers

Post by aadaum » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:32 am

Dear all, I just want to share an info that might be useful if you consider the use of ICON Plaform M+ and Platform X+ with Ableton Live 10.

I have planned to control 24 tracks, so I bought
- one Platform M+
- two Platform X+
- plus 3 Platform D Displays that shall display the track names and balance

The only way to make the setup show and control 24 tracks is to connect the M+ as a MackieControl and the X+ as MacieControl XT.

Yes - the controllers work.
NO - the displays attached to the X+ do not show anything. The issue is that the X+ are also expecting to be connected as MackieControl, BUT this results in all three controllers showing the first 8 tracks only. AND the X+ do not provide a BankSelect button, so you can't switch any of them to tracks 9-16 or 17-24.

What you see in the marketing material works well if you don't plan to use the displays. WITH the displays it does not.

After having talked to the ICON support people this is - from my personal perspective - the only good workaround:
- Connect a Platform X+ as MackieControl for the first 8 tracks
- Connect two Platform M+ as MackieControl for the second and third 8 tracks.
- - WHY: Platform M+ has got BankSelect buttons, which allow you to select tracks 9-16 and 17-24.
- - YES - you've got some redundant buttons as well with that workaround.

I hope that this is helpful - let me know your thoughts,
Axel

MOSELEYNOISE

Re: Using Ableton Live 10 with ICON Platform M+ / X+ controllers

Post by MOSELEYNOISE » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:32 am

Thanks for all the info, very helpful. Looking at getting one of these with the idea of expanding. Does it fader follow between tracks still with the motorised faders? You manage to find a way to get all three to bank and display information on the screen?

Also if you are just using one does the screen update with the new info about what track you are on etc?

Thanks for this info, really helpful for you to post this, not much online.

aadaum

Post by aadaum » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:54 am

Hi :-)

If you intend to use more than one, you can use an X+ for the first 8 Tracks - it won't let you change the track assignment. Yes, it will display the track name. If you press the track focus button, it will highlight the track in Ableton. You will have to use an M+ for every additional 8 tracks. It will allow you to move in banks of 8 tracks up and down - and it allows to move in single tracks up and down. Yes, it will display the track name - and pressing the focus button will result in a highlighted track in Ableton Live.

I currently use one X+ for the first 8 tracks and 2 M+ for tracks 9-24. It works nicely for my purpose of having better physical control.

Hope this is helpful, enjoy music,
Axel

smand

Post by smand » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:25 pm

Thanks for sharing that Axel, I have an M+ at the moment and I'm struggling to get it integrated well.

I have a Push 2 - and I really want to keep that for the pads, sequencing etc etc...but it appears to have a constant battle with the platform M over who controls the faders / mixers section. I have no idea how to separate the two,

anyone out there using Push 2 with Platform M+ at the same time can share there experience?

thanks,

Simon.

Skullee

Post by Skullee » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:15 am

Great info! I have question.
How does the icon platform react to groups in ableton? Lets say you have 2 groups with 2 channels in each group. Will this result in 6 channels (on icon) when they are open and 2 (on Icon)when the groups are closed? Or will there be 6 faders active in both cases?

smand

Post by smand » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:49 pm

Just an update on this, got everything running well now and it’s brilliant.

It was really simple, select the icon as Mackie controller, but make sure the icon is selected as the first controller, then platform m+ in the other two columns. THEN the Push follows as the second controller.

All of them working together in sweet harmony, recording from the faders, automation is fine. The display on the icon is showing PAN and track name perfectly. I’m very happy with this.... may buy a second unit so I can mix 16 tracks at a time.

Davnak

Post by Davnak » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:56 am

I was considering getting a Platform X to use with Ableton (and eventually expand it), and I liked the idea of the X over the M because of the more compact design. I mainly want the faders.

You mentioned that you have to use the X for the first 8 and your two Ms for 9-24 because the X did not have a bank select but the M design did.

When I was looking at some of the manuals, it showed a scenario with 3 Platforms Xs connected with a single Platform M. In the Ableton settings diagram it showed the inputs for the Platform Xs as "Platform X+1" "Platform X+2" and "Platform X+3" respectively. Does this do some kind of offsetting with the channels? Have you found any workaround?

Platfrom X #1: Channels 1-8
Platfrom X #1: Channels 9-17
Platfrom X #1: Channels 17-24
Platfrom M: Channels 25-32

This was the screen shot shown in the manual that I referenced: https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.icon-gl ... n-Live.pdf

ArfaGrekos

Post by ArfaGrekos » Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:04 am

Aadaum Thank you, for your advice.