Recording in clip slots or with looper

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
slatepipe

Recording in clip slots or with looper

Post by slatepipe » Sat May 05, 2018 8:20 am

Hi
I used to record live audio from my bass straight into clip slots as loops and then have them play but I found sometimes that I would get an out of memory error which would totally crash Live so that method became unusable and I resorted to just playing the bass live. Last night I tried recording with a looper device on that track and it seemed to work OK and so far hasn't crashed.

My laptop is a bit crap with only 3gb ram but the whole set I am using is quite efficient and doesn't go higher than 30% cpu

Can I ask if looper is a better way of recording live audio than straight into clip slots and is there anything I need to be aware of regarding possible memory crashes with it? What is the experience of other people? I'm going to be playing it live next week so I want to be pretty sure looper is going to hold up

Thanks for any advice

Stromkraft

Re: Recording in clip shots or with looper

Post by Stromkraft » Sat May 05, 2018 9:59 am

slatepipe wrote:Hi
I used to record live audio from my bass straight into clip slots as loops and then have them play but I found sometimes that I would get an out of memory error which would totally crash Live so that method became unusable and I resorted to just playing the bass live. Last night I tried recording with a looper device on that track and it seemed to work OK and so far hasn't crashed.

My laptop is a bit crap with only 3gb ram but the whole set I am using is quite efficient and doesn't go higher than 30% cpu

Can I ask if looper is a better way of recording live audio than straight into clip slots and is there anything I need to be aware of regarding possible memory crashes with it? What is the experience of other people? I'm going to be playing it live next week so I want to be pretty sure looper is going to hold up

Thanks for any advice
Unfortunately I can't advice on Looper as it's one of the few aspects in Live I'm not using. I'd assume if you're short on memory it would run out just as quickly.

Are you by any chance using a 32-bit Live or otherwise have limited memory in your machine? I've never ever had "out of memory" issues and I've use quite old machines, though all have been 64-bit and I put an SSD in three years ago, in my previous, which totally changed GUI swiftness to the better.

What about how full disk you have? 20% free space really is minimum.
Make some music!

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Sat May 05, 2018 1:43 pm

Hi feller, thanks for your reply. Yeah I'm still using a 32bit old thing. I need to upgrade but can't afford it at the moment. That's probably why I get the out of memory errors. I used looper to record audio quite a lot last night and it didn't crash at all. I was wondering if it captures audio and stores it by some other process or something? As when I tried recording straight into clips then it wasn't long before it crashed

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat May 05, 2018 5:25 pm

slatepipe wrote:I was wondering if it captures audio and stores it by some other process or something? As when I tried recording straight into clips then it wasn't long before it crashed
I'm not sure but I'd assume more goes into RAM at first, but at some point it is obviously saved to disk and can be dropped to a clip. Unless you know you're actually short on memory when your crash occurs I'd say you have a bug on your hands. I'm not sure if there will be any more development on the 32-bit version of Live 9.

In my view Live shouldn't crash during operation under normal conditions. I've been there and worked hard to find the culprits, fix the issues to end up with a system that basically never crash during sessions. Occasionally I have startup or quit issues, or load issues, but this is very rare and almost exclusively have a third party product involved.
Make some music!