Help Launching Multiple Audio Clips With Same MIDI Note

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JackTheRipper

Help Launching Multiple Audio Clips With Same MIDI Note

Post by JackTheRipper » Sat May 05, 2018 8:56 pm

I need help with launching multiple audio clips using the same MIDI note. I have Live 9.5 Standard on a laptop running Windows 8. I did a search which led me to ClyphX (a version that supports 9.5) and frankly I still need help. I downloaded and installed ClyphX and that seems to work fine. But I'm not sure that I can do what I want with ClyphX.

To be clear, what I want to do is launch clip 1 with MIDI note C0 (for example). Then pressing note C0 again launches clip 2. Press C0 again, launch clip 3. And so on.

I use a Roland PK-5A MIDI controller that sends MIDI note on/off events to Ableton via my audio interface card (Presonus Audiobox). I have 10 audio clips loaded in a single audio track. I know how to assign a MIDI event to launch a clip, but need to be able to launch each clip sequentially by pressing the *same* MIDI controller pedal (since I will be doing this with my feet.)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--jack

JackTheRipper

Re: Help Launching Multiple Audio Clips With Same MIDI Note

Post by JackTheRipper » Sat May 05, 2018 9:50 pm

After reading the ClyphX manual a bit more and playing around a bit, I think I have something that works, although it seems a bit clumsy.

What I did was created a MIDI track and added a clip named (ie, the ClyphX script/command) "[] SCENE >" Then I mapped the MIDI note I want to the that MIDI clip launch button.

As long as I organize my clips vertically within an Audio track, this seems to do the trick. The only oddity that I can see at this point is there seems to be a bit of a delay between the time I press a key on my controller and when the next clip plays. I checked each clip's launch quantization and they are set to None. I will keep looking at this.

--jack

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sat May 05, 2018 11:25 pm

You can do this without clyphx too.

Stack your clips in a vertical stack, then assign your midi note to the Launch Scene button, at the left of the red box in the pic below (it only becomes visible when you enter midi- or key-mapping).

In Lives preferences > Record/Warp/Launch enable “Select Next Scene on Launch”

Now, after you trigger your first Scene/clip at the top of the stack, hitting your midi key will trigger each subsequent Scene/clip.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

JackTheRipper

Post by JackTheRipper » Mon May 07, 2018 1:55 am

Thank you! This approach works great. Thanks for the reply and the screen shot was very helpful!

With your approach I no longer get the latency between pressing the key and launching the clip like I did with ClyphX. Now it works exactly like I want.

Thanks Pitch Black!

--jack

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon May 07, 2018 3:38 pm

ClyphX had up to 100ms delay from action to event, ClyphX Pro will reduce this to a maximum of 20ms...

Cheers
D

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Tue May 08, 2018 1:41 pm

In ClyphX/ClyphX Pro, you'd use X-Controls for this, which add no latency whatsoever (unlike X-Clips). Also, unlike MIDI mapping, using X-Controls would make this mapping available in any set you opened as opposed to it only being available in sets that contain the MIDI mapping.

JackTheRipper

Post by JackTheRipper » Tue May 08, 2018 3:38 pm

S4racen wrote:ClyphX had up to 100ms delay from action to event, ClyphX Pro will reduce this to a maximum of 20ms...

Cheers
D
Ever since adding ClyphX it seems that Ableton is slower in general. Everything from startup to changing Live Sets, etc. I removed it and I'm happy again.

--jack

JackTheRipper

Post by JackTheRipper » Tue May 08, 2018 3:39 pm

metastatik wrote:In ClyphX/ClyphX Pro, you'd use X-Controls for this, which add no latency whatsoever (unlike X-Clips). Also, unlike MIDI mapping, using X-Controls would make this mapping available in any set you opened as opposed to it only being available in sets that contain the MIDI mapping.
I figured that there was a better way using ClyphX. Thanks for the insight.

--jack