long recording sessions

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
locojohn

long recording sessions

Post by locojohn » Sun May 06, 2018 3:18 pm

Hi all,

I am feeling like a noob. Perhaps, I forgot that Live has these horrible limitations and is not designed to record sessions bigger than 2 GB in size..

Yesterday I was recording a long DJ mix from external mixer through my audio interface. I hit the record button in the arrangement, made sure it's recording and went ahead to mix music. After about 5 hours of mixing I came back to my computer and noticed Live was still recording (time indicators running and the record knob lit). I clicked stop button and then looked at the audio track it was recording.... and, to my surprise and ultimate frustration it was only 2 hours long. OK, I remembered about the evil 2GB sample size limit, but why doesn't Live automatically create a new audio file to record the next chunk of incoming audio data when it reaches the file limit? In other words, the only audio file I got in the Recordings folder is 2 GB size and it contains only about 2 hours of my recording session.

Bummer!

Andrejs
Last edited by locojohn on Sun May 06, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

re:dream

Re: long recording sessions

Post by re:dream » Sun May 06, 2018 3:27 pm

Bummer! :cry:

Sounds like something we could put forward as a feature request. As I understand i the 2 GB limit is not Ableton's fault but your proposal of creating a new file sounds reasonable

locojohn

Re: long recording sessions

Post by locojohn » Sun May 06, 2018 3:28 pm

re:dream wrote:Bummer! :cry:

Sounds like something we could put forward as a feature request. As I understand i the 2 GB limit is not Ableton's fault but your proposal of creating a new file sounds reasonable
I just sent them a message to support@ableton.com. To me it actually looks like a terrible bug capable of ruining your entire day.

Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/