crash when using Pulse 2 via USB and Ableton Arp

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Bionecteur

crash when using Pulse 2 via USB and Ableton Arp

Post by Bionecteur » Sat May 12, 2018 1:17 pm

Dear Abletonians,

I have a strange problem with my Waldorf Pulse 2 via USB playing in Ableton 10.01. Always crashes after two three minutes ...I have no idea why...had no problem with 9.
Not using an editor or something ...only Pulse 2 via USB ...Midi is coming from an Ableton Arp.

My specs are :

Mac OS High Sierra: 10.13.4
Mac Pro ( 2013)
3.5 HHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1866 Mhz DDR3
Grafic: AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB

Interface UAD Apollo ( Newest Software
Midi : Motu Ultralight.

The Pulse2 is on the latest firmware 1.20

If someone has an Idea what I could check additionally I would be more then happy.

Best

Uwe
ritsch, ratsch, klick

Ubik

Re: crash when using Pulse 2 via USB and Ableton Arp

Post by Ubik » Sun May 13, 2018 9:05 am

Do you have the beta ? I've had a similar issue and it was cause by a bug with the arpegiattor in Live 10, under certain circumstances. It has been fixed in the beta, I don't know if it has been fixed in the stable release as I'm still using the beta.

Bionecteur

Post by Bionecteur » Sun May 13, 2018 8:05 pm

not on Beta here, but thanks for the heads up! Just saw that the Beta fixed some issues with the Arp...
But I will wait for 10.0.2. ...hope that this will solve my issue ...
Problem is: when I am using VST ´s with the Arp I have no problem...strange.
ritsch, ratsch, klick

Ubik

Post by Ubik » Mon May 14, 2018 8:08 am

My issue was also with a hardware synth. Sometimes the crash would only happen after several minutes.
If it can help, here's the message I received from support to identify/reproduce the bug :

1. Add any instrument to a midi track. (I have reproduced with most) e.g. Tension
2. Add Arpeggiator Midi Effect
3. In the Arpeggiator, select Chord trigger Style, Set the Gate to at least 100% and the Rate to at least 1/12 (looks as if it has to be faster than the number of chord changes per beat which in my example below is effectively 1/8)
4. In the session view under the midi track with the instrument, create a 1 bar midi loop. Add one note lasting the whole bar. Add 2 additional notes alternating every 1/8 bar (half a beat) (length of notes doesn't appear to matter). I have attached midi file (Arpcrash.mid) if needed.
5. Turn Audio down as it will be noisy when the crash occurs. I have also reproduced with and alternate Audio Driver to make sure that wasn't the problem.
6. Launch the midi clip.
7. Crash should occur at the end of the 32nd loop.

Please try altering the settings of the Apr or take it out to confirm.

Bionecteur

Post by Bionecteur » Mon May 14, 2018 9:49 am

Ubik wrote:My issue was also with a hardware synth. Sometimes the crash would only happen after several minutes.
If it can help, here's the message I received from support to identify/reproduce the bug :

1. Add any instrument to a midi track. (I have reproduced with most) e.g. Tension
2. Add Arpeggiator Midi Effect
3. In the Arpeggiator, select Chord trigger Style, Set the Gate to at least 100% and the Rate to at least 1/12 (looks as if it has to be faster than the number of chord changes per beat which in my example below is effectively 1/8)
4. In the session view under the midi track with the instrument, create a 1 bar midi loop. Add one note lasting the whole bar. Add 2 additional notes alternating every 1/8 bar (half a beat) (length of notes doesn't appear to matter). I have attached midi file (Arpcrash.mid) if needed.
5. Turn Audio down as it will be noisy when the crash occurs. I have also reproduced with and alternate Audio Driver to make sure that wasn't the problem.
6. Launch the midi clip.
7. Crash should occur at the end of the 32nd loop.

Please try altering the settings of the Apr or take it out to confirm.

thanks Ubik! I will try to reproduce it when I am home!

Best

uwe
ritsch, ratsch, klick