Clicking on Track Title sends MIDI messages...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
arretx

Clicking on Track Title sends MIDI messages...

Post by arretx » Sat May 12, 2018 8:02 pm

Track 1: No MIDI Input. MIDI output set to Network Session 1 / Channel 15.
Track 2: No MIDI Input. MIDI output set to Network Session 1 / Channel 16.

Both tracks have a MIDI Effect Rack with empty chains. The purpose of this is to provide the clips with names notes based on the names of the chains rather than having to guess what C0 and D2 are, etc.

These two tracks send to a DMXIS lighting app on another Mac. The preset BANKS are controlled by the note values of clips in track 1 on channel 15 and the PRESETS in each bank are controlled by the note values in the clips in track 2 on channel 16.

So, if I want Bank 1, Lighting Configuration 2, I have a clip in Track 1 that fires off C-2 and one in track 2 that fires off a note on C#-2.

The Problem:

When I click the track title to switch between them while working with the tracks, 3 MIDI signals are sent on Network Session 1 to the other computer.

Source: From Session 1
Channel: 12
Data: Controller 118 64

Source: From Session 1
Channel: 3
Data: Bank Select (fine) 0

(the second message happens twice, seemingly simultaneously.

Now, I can't for the life of me figure out why Ableton Live is firing off MIDI notes when I switch tracks other than the fact that there's a MIDI Effect Rack in the track.

Ideas on how to stop it?
MacBook Air | Ableton Live 9.7.5 2017-10-02 | Advance 61 Keybaord w/VIP 3.0 | Launchpad Mini | Scarlett Focusrite 18i8 | iPad Pro / OnSong | Allen & Heath QU-32

Andee Sito

Re: Clicking on Track Title sends MIDI messages...

Post by Andee Sito » Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:10 pm

Hi arretx

Did you find a solution for your problem? I am facing exactly the same issue. After some research on google I could not find any help on this.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks & cheers

manu facture

Post by manu facture » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:44 pm

Hello,

I actually have the same "problem". Almost every click in the interface sends a bunch of different midi messages (see screenshot). I can't really imagine what this is for. The software communicates internally with itself, not over midi. And everything else you would map per purpose. I'm sure I will find a workaround because now it triggers a kick on my syntakt every time I do something... But it would be nice to know the reason and to be able to turn it off.

https://imgur.com/a/hsI7YVc

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:53 pm

Some controllers need that MIDI data so they know you've changed tracks and can show you the right track on the hardware.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:42 pm

What options are turned on for Output? I feel like Remote, or control surface options would result in midi being sent out.

soundgali

Post by soundgali » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:16 pm

Hey I happened to figure this out - at least on my setup. I unchecked the "Remote" option on my synth's output under "Link Tempo MIDI" section in Settings.

So it looks like this:

MIDI ports...................................Track............Sync............Remote
"Out: _synth name_ (SOUND) "checked" "unchecked" "unchecked"

Hope this helps.