Ableton 10 about to purchase

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
AndyDD_UK

Ableton 10 about to purchase

Post by AndyDD_UK » Sun May 13, 2018 10:51 am

Hi guys
I'm buying a DAW. I did the Ableton 30 day trial and I really like it.

Most times I read people saying use whatever DAW you feel comfortable with.

I can that Drum Rack etc comes out of the box and that there are more plugins available from the site.

I'm expecting to pay for other stuff eg so can do vocal edits

If I bought Ableton what else would I need for EDM ? (Not DJing/playing live and not wanting to pay for Push ideally).

Would really appreciate some guidance

Many thanks Andy

Phillis

Re: Ableton 10 about to purchase

Post by Phillis » Sun May 13, 2018 11:05 am

The software is only as good as the user, so you need experience :roll:

Ableton has everything you need, with Max4live you also have more than you need. Just experimenting.

A nice external sound card is recommended.

And i prefer hardware instead of mouse, for workflow and feeling.

Sample Packs aren't useless, but often full of stuff you don't need.

Greets

AndyDD_UK

Post by AndyDD_UK » Sun May 13, 2018 11:36 am

Thanks so much for your help

So buy eg ableton live intro/standard plus max4live?

I have MacBookpro so should be fine soundcard wise

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun May 13, 2018 12:51 pm

I have MacBookpro so should be fine soundcard wise
Should be ok to get started but latency may become an issue. Not experienced with Mac but a dedicated audio interface is certainly something to consider down the track for better latency, bit more power and pro audio jacks.

First suggestion I would make is start small. It is so easy now days to get stuck in the trap of thinking you need all these plugins and content to "be good" and companies pray on that and will drain your cash fast. It is possible fo someone with tallent to make some really good stuff with no VSTs at all and just a few samples. In fact, that is a good way to get started, just using some simple samples of things and making music.

The first 200+ tracks I wrote (decades ago in my old fasttracker days) were using nothing more than simple samples I dug up, recorded and created myself. Was a much better/fun time, no VSTs and plugins to get distracted by (no internet either) which lended more time to experimenting. When you limit yourself to just a few plugins or sounds it does help you focus and not get distracted. Advice I wish I could follow myself sometimes.

AndyDD_UK

Post by AndyDD_UK » Sun May 13, 2018 2:58 pm

Thanks I want to go down the non-sample route i.e. Write my own songs, does eg standard have enough good sounds so you think? Looks like no to me from my trial (unless I missed something which is very possible)

Also am using Sonus audio box one as audio interface

And amazon USB hub for keyboard.

Although I couldn't get my Irig keys midi keyboard to be recognised in Ableton when I did the 30 day trial (and irig support weren't helpful either)

Thinking logic might be easier route but really want to go down ableton route

Be great if you could help me some more with my thinking. Am struggling tbh

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Sun May 13, 2018 4:07 pm

I have Ableton Suite 10, with Push 2. The only VSTi I bought was Massive Synth. I have some plugins which where given away by magazines or with my Focusrite Saffire interface. I don't collect VST's and stuff - just want to make music....

You don't need much as said above, just your imagination! Invest in a decent interface, Live standard or suite and go ahead!!!!!!

Have fun shopping and makin' music.
Last edited by miyaru on Sun May 13, 2018 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Sun May 13, 2018 4:17 pm

MMM, you have a decent interface..... What are you unshure of? Do you question yourself if you make the right decision? You can spend your money only once .......

Been there done it! Was working with Cubase in all kind of incarnations for more then 20 yrs or so. Saw a youtube movie of Ableton, worked further with Cubase for a couple of month, but the seed was sown. Saved all my money, bought Push2 wich came with Intro or so, then later on bought a new PC, Live Suite and a pair of decent monitors - works like a charm for me.

I read the word EDM - Ableton Live!!!!

Hell I know it is a lot of money all together but what a plesure to work with. I dunno what I love more Live 10 or my Push2, but proberly the combination.

If you have specific questions, feel free......
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

Phillis

Post by Phillis » Sun May 13, 2018 6:07 pm

For the start, instead of push, you can also buy a cheap midi controller and midi keyboard. I prefer splitting the functions into more then one controller.

And Standard is good but Suite! is everything haha.
You miss the time, where they gave a discount a half year ago.. :(

david.barker

Post by david.barker » Sun May 13, 2018 8:07 pm

Hi AndyDD_UK :D

I Recently upgraded to Ableton Live 10 Suite,and really like it.A lot of people I have spoken to say Live is for EDM only,that is not true,he,he.

Music production,for me is a hobby for me, I enjoy making ambient and cinematic styles.But the layout of Live 10 and its new and existing features works well for me. :D

I would suggest a good paid for online tutorial/s for Ableton Live 10 , to bring you right up to speed
Of course there are a lot of free tutorials around but the quality varies a lot.Check out Lives website too,and get freindly with the help menu and these forums,he,he

Have fun! :D
Dell Optilplex 9010,Windows Pro 10 10 64 bit .16GB ram, Intel i5 3570 chip,@ 3'40GHz 4 cores
1TB SSD main drive, external drive 6TB SSD for various Kontakt libraries

https://soundcloud.com/ambientdavemusic

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun May 13, 2018 11:33 pm

AndyDD_UK wrote:Thanks I want to go down the non-sample route i.e. Write my own songs, does eg standard have enough good sounds so you think? Looks like no to me from my trial (unless I missed something which is very possible)
Yeah when I said to use samples I didn't mean specifically just loops, but also single 1 hit samples of keys/chords etc. I use to make music when I first started by drawing waveforms manually sometimes or using an old telephone handset rigged to a headphone jack to record things into the mic input of the soundblaster. The quality was of course shit but I started making songs such as Mary Had a Little Lamb and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star etc.

The main point is if you have little experience with a DAW or production you should start learning things from step 1 before getting too bogged down understanding complex synths because in reality all you will do is flip presets and tweak maybe the cutoff without knowing anything about how that synth makes sound.

Ableton Standard does not include any sounds (you need Suit) but does have some synths. you can easily dig up samples around the place, even loops, and get to work chopping them, looping them and make some basic stuff with just the minimum. What you should start to discover over time is where you want some different sounds that you just cannot get which a plugin may provide which will help you narrow down what you want to invest in.

In regards to audio interfaces just do some google searching and look at reviews. There are loads of options, prices, features and what will suit your needs is hard for others to answer. Most are pretty equal when it comes to sound quality so really the main things are the Latency it offers, I/O jacks, Management software and Support (including driver support). I use to be a big Presonus fan until they decided they would just make everything obsolete when Win10 came out and not support drivers so I ditched them and use a Roland OctaCapture now which is pretty good.

login

Post by login » Mon May 14, 2018 5:50 pm

IF you only get standard you will be missing instruments, you could either get Suite for Wavetable, analog, operator, electric, tension collision and the extra sample content (lots of it)..

Or get something like Komplete select, 200 USD, (some synths, some sample based instruments).

I would start with Live Suite for the instruments and just stick with that for a while. But at some point (maybe 1 year later) bring some other plugin instrument to fill the wholes, for example I love u-he Diva and nothing in Live sound quite like it.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Thu May 17, 2018 1:16 am

AndyDD_UK wrote:Hi guys
I'm buying a DAW. I did the Ableton 30 day trial and I really like it.

Most times I read people saying use whatever DAW you feel comfortable with.

I can that Drum Rack etc comes out of the box and that there are more plugins available from the site.

I'm expecting to pay for other stuff eg so can do vocal edits

If I bought Ableton what else would I need for EDM ? (Not DJing/playing live and not wanting to pay for Push ideally).

Would really appreciate some guidance

Many thanks Andy
Wavetable and Operator are great synths. Wavetable especially should get u in the ballpark.

Stay with Suite for a while and from there figure out where you are lacking.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri May 18, 2018 6:56 pm

AndyDD_UK wrote:I'm expecting to pay for other stuff eg so can do vocal edits
depending on what you mean by this... Logic or Cubase may be a way better option. i love Live, but it's lacking in the vocals department IMO.

AndyDD_UK

Post by AndyDD_UK » Sat May 19, 2018 11:51 am

Thanks for your comment. Logic comes with ability to edit audio (e.g. Vocals). I understand you cannot do that in any of the versions of Ableton and so need to buy extra (if are working with vocals) . I've read melodyne is good for ableton .

Do you (or anyone else on here) use ableton vs Logic vs Cubase and melodyne and have a view/Recomendation?

Many thanks

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat May 19, 2018 1:14 pm

I'd suggest you get Live 10 Standard and one or a few of great free synths like
  • U-he TyrellN6 that beats Analog, coming with Suite, with a large margin when it comes to sound quality and versatility.
  • Another free synth alternative is Obxd.
  • Dexed is a great free alternative to Suite's Operator.
  • Simpler is good enough as a sampler I think, certainly in drum racks and if you need more you can get free Samplers like the TX16Wx Software Sampler or similar.
Rather than getting all of these free alternatives I suggest you start with using and learning one at a time, for a month or so.
As a former owner of Suite I feel most of the samples coming with Suite are quite "meeh" and not worth the time. With the exception of Wavetable and Electric the rest of the synths are less useful and less well-sounding than the free alternatives, though Tension and Collision could be interesting. That's what I thought, but I almost never used these during the 5 years I had them. Sampler is really nice as well, but the free ones are up there with it.

All of the Suite synths, except for Wavetable possibly, have one advantage and that is CPU usage. They do use less, which can be important. Less CPU usage has been tremendously important to me. Despite this I think it's wiser to start with the just the one of the free instrument alternatives (as well as some of the great free audio effect plug-ins later if need be) and Live 10 Standard.

Max For Live is great and I love it, but it's nothing one MUST have and it's taking precious focus if your'e starting out, which is better spent on finishing songs. Among my collaborators I'm alone in using MFL.

Using standard and one great free synth means you're saving money and being focused on learning and developing your music. Standard is a great Live version.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
Make some music!