Ableton 10 about to purchase

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
v00d00ppl

Re: Ableton 10 about to purchase

Post by v00d00ppl » Sun May 20, 2018 7:44 pm

You won’t need push 2. I have push 2, but usually I just use the mpd232 for drums, my prophet 6 for keys.

The best thing about 10 suite is the soundpacks they put out. It’s one of the best curated packs I’ve ever heard. I remember buying maschine studio for the sounds, but the sound packs in 10 are comparable if not an inch better. Glue compressor, the limiter, and the stock effects are good. Electric and wavetablw are good too. Analog is also good for a subtractive synth.
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun May 20, 2018 8:12 pm

AndyDD_UK wrote:not wanting to pay for Push ideally
The original Push is still great and available on the second hand market. Make sure the seller guarantees all pads, encoders and contacts are fully operable. If you just want to try out the work flow of a Push this is a viable first step. Five years in I consider this one of my better investments. I love the Push.
Make some music!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon May 21, 2018 5:46 pm

AndyDD_UK wrote:Thanks for your comment. Logic comes with ability to edit audio (e.g. Vocals). I understand you cannot do that in any of the versions of Ableton and so need to buy extra (if are working with vocals) . I've read melodyne is good for ableton .

Do you (or anyone else on here) use ableton vs Logic vs Cubase and melodyne and have a view/Recomendation?

Many thanks
i actually have both. i prefer Cubase because that was my first professional grade DAW and I learned a lot using it. the problem with Cubase is the update cycle and cost. so bang for the buck dictates that Logic is the logical choice.

either of them pair well with Live running as Slave. so you can produce your tracks in Live and then move over to 'DAW B' for vocals.

having said all that, Live can handle vocals... it's not like it's impossible. it really depends on how much you want to edit them. so, a lot of that depends on your source material. if you aren't trying to *comp* vocal takes together, Live has everything else you need.

once Live gets comping, then maybe we can leave these conversations in the thread archives. but Ableton seem to hate the idea of comping for some reason. people have been asking for it for at least the last 3 versions... and it's not like almost every other DAW doesn't have a model to 'borrow' ideas from...
:idea: Live users aren't necessarily looking for new and innovative ways to comp... they just wanna comp - efficiently.

Biome Digital

Post by Biome Digital » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:18 am

jlgrimes wrote:
AndyDD_UK wrote:Hi guys
I'm buying a DAW. I did the Ableton 30 day trial and I really like it.

Most times I read people saying use whatever DAW you feel comfortable with.

I can that Drum Rack etc comes out of the box and that there are more plugins available from the site.

I'm expecting to pay for other stuff eg so can do vocal edits

If I bought Ableton what else would I need for EDM ? (Not DJing/playing live and not wanting to pay for Push ideally).

Would really appreciate some guidance

Many thanks Andy
Wavetable and Operator are great synths. Wavetable especially should get u in the ballpark.

Stay with Suite for a while and from there figure out where you are lacking.

Wavetable really is a good synth. Sometimes limitations force you to be more creative.
NEW!! Ableton Wavetable Presets and Racks - DOWNLOAD FREE DEMO https://newloops.com

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:06 am

I think it depends on how cluey you are. I wasn't cluey. I got Live Intro and veged out on it, wondering why I wasn't inspired. After a year, I had a pile of recordings with potential but with dull basic Ableton sounds. Then I heard some good synths and effects and realised I had been wasting my time with uninspiring Ableton sounds. The best thing I could have done was to buy:

- an audio interface and speakers
- a mic
- a mic stand that puts the mic in front of your face (much more likely to use it if it's right in front of your face)
- an Akai LPK25 (fits in front of laptop without getting in the way, so you are more likely to use it, and it's simple so no distractions)
- a nice synth VST that inspires you
- a sparkly reverb VST (e.g. Valhalla Room)

But that's just me. I got off to a bad start and by the time I figured out what to do, I lost interest. Just helping others now. Others can follow their nose, and trace the scent through the forest quickly. Note that Ableton has Wavetable and Max4Live built in now, so maybe the sounds are better than they used to be.