How to make a bass like Paranoid London

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Pholand

How to make a bass like Paranoid London

Post by Pholand » Sun May 13, 2018 11:01 am

For now I can't find any tutorial of how to make a bass like Paranoid London.
Neither I know how to call this minimal kind of bass in specific.
I really would like to know how to design it in Operator, FM8, Massive or Serum.
Hopefully someone can help me out and knows what I am looking for.

Greetings.

Da hand

Re: How to make a bass like Paranoid London

Post by Da hand » Mon May 14, 2018 3:41 am

Link with example?

Bionecteur

Post by Bionecteur » Mon May 14, 2018 6:10 am

https://youtu.be/iUQjXUsgZ5E
its mainly TR 808 and TR 303.

get a good 303 VST like ABL or Phoscyon (D16)

808 samples you have already with Ableton,

experiment ! the difficult part is to come up with this groovy bass lines

Paranoid London uses hardware I think but with the above mentioned tools you already can get close ...
ritsch, ratsch, klick

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Mon May 14, 2018 4:29 pm

Thanks for the link Bionecteur, much easier this way :wink:

I agree, 303 for the bass line and 808 (with distortion) for the drums.
And I also agree for the ABL and d16 VSTs as great tools for this. I use them in many of my productions and like them a lot.

Phillis

Post by Phillis » Mon May 14, 2018 5:05 pm

I got an Roland TB3. Analogue (or semi-analogue in this case) makes a big diffence for the/(my) ear. A software bass is more static, thats not really an advantage for such groovy basslines. I would wonder how close you could get?

But on the other hand, you have to work at least with midi, dont think that you can programm such a bassline, with all these small details, in 16 or 32step patterns, maybe i am wrong (maybe also in the upper case), but it would be hard work in my opinion.

Bionecteur

Post by Bionecteur » Mon May 14, 2018 5:16 pm

Phillis wrote:I got an Roland TB3. Analogue (or semi-analogue in this case) makes a big diffence for the/(my) ear. A software bass is more static, thats not really an advantage for such groovy basslines. I would wonder how close you could get?

But on the other hand, you have to work at least with midi, dont think that you can programm such a bassline, with all these small details, in 16 or 32step patterns, maybe i am wrong (maybe also in the upper case), but it would be hard work in my opinion.

I agree here that's why I bought an Avalon which really is great for the job. Of course nothing beats a real 303. but also the VST´s are doing a good job ...I really liked the ABL for this...you will be surprised how close you can get.

Before I forget : There is a need acid pattern generator from Skinnerbox for MAX ...really fun to get decent 303 patterns out of the box :-)

Coming back to the Paranoid London thread , besides the 303 evolving and grooving patterns , the saturated /distorted and highly compressed sound is remarkable...I am not sure how close you can get this with VST´s in the box. I never red something about how they are achieving this...
ritsch, ratsch, klick

Phillis

Post by Phillis » Mon May 14, 2018 6:14 pm

Very nice, http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... skinnerbox, directly download it

And yes the sound is hard to archieve with VSTs, but another thought, if somebody copy the groove, the sound, the instruments, where the fun of creating music would be? :roll:

Bionecteur

Post by Bionecteur » Mon May 14, 2018 7:41 pm

Phillis wrote:Very nice, http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... skinnerbox, directly download it

And yes the sound is hard to archieve with VSTs, but another thought, if somebody copy the groove, the sound, the instruments, where the fun of creating music would be? :roll:
I agree, but sometimes is good to know how to do it. If you know the rules ...you know ...:-)
ritsch, ratsch, klick