LIVE 10 - audio & midi effects - where are they?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
CH7

LIVE 10 - audio & midi effects - where are they?

Post by CH7 » Sun May 13, 2018 5:32 pm

Hi,

I have Live 9 and live 10 installed to run along side each other.

On live 9 i can still see all my Ablelton Audio and Midi effects.
On Live 10 they are missing. They are not showing where i would expect them to be.

Has anyone encounted this problem?
How do i point live 10 in the right direction?

Thanks.

CH7

Re: LIVE 10 - audio & midi effects - where are they?

Post by CH7 » Sun May 13, 2018 6:15 pm

OK, i think i've solved this for Live 10's missing data base, however i have now created the same situation for Live 9.
Note, Live 9 was fine until i followed the instructions below:

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... -malformed

I renamed the file i found there, and then reopened Live 10, which promptly rebuilt the database file, however it seem that file is what i renamed is the file Live 9 needs in order to see its Audio effects, Midi effects, instruments etc..

So now i am back to square one.

I could go rooting around with regedit to find the file/location that Live 9 is looking for, and then rename that to point to the renamed database file, but that would be my last resort.

Is there a better solution? surely Ableton has catered for those of us who want to run the two programs side by side.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun May 13, 2018 9:17 pm

I believe you're overcomplicating things. I have Live 9 and Live 10 and Live 10beta installed side by side in macOS 10.12.6. I run one at a time and they can see their libraries fine with no work on my part.
Make some music!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun May 13, 2018 10:11 pm

Are you running 2 instances at the same time?
Ableton Forum Moderator

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon May 14, 2018 5:32 am

[jur] wrote:Are you running 2 instances at the same time?
That would explain this. Are you familiar with the the reasons behind this inability to see library and plug-ins from two instances? Are they technical or license-oriented?
Make some music!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon May 14, 2018 11:44 am

Stromkraft wrote:
That would explain this. Are you familiar with the the reasons behind this inability to see library and plug-ins from two instances? Are they technical or license-oriented?
Hey Strom,
No I'm not sure about the reasons. I think it's a technical one, but don't take it for granted.
Ableton Forum Moderator

CH7

Post by CH7 » Mon May 14, 2018 2:35 pm

Well i was trying to. I got the rewire error messages, it seems both instances want to run as rewire hosts.

Aside from that, i can now verify if i run just Live 9 , or Live 10 it will see the effects/instruments etc.
When i try to run both instances i only see the effects for the first one i loaded.

I have bought both,and according to the Ableton i should be able to run 9 & 10 side by side.
I figured this would be usefull to cut and past between sessions, but so far this experiment isn't going well.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon May 14, 2018 6:03 pm

CH7 wrote: I have bought both,and according to the Ableton i should be able to run 9 & 10 side by side.
I figured this would be usefull to cut and past between sessions, but so far this experiment isn't going well.
If you have licenses for both it may be you need to separate the libraries as well as preferences into a Live 9 one and a Live 10 one. Make sure everything is in separate places, also your User Lib.
Make some music!

Gregwaah

Post by Gregwaah » Mon May 14, 2018 8:12 pm

CH7 wrote: Well i was trying to. I got the rewire error messages, it seems both instances want to run as rewire hosts.

Aside from that, i can now verify if i run just Live 9 , or Live 10 it will see the effects/instruments etc.
When i try to run both instances i only see the effects for the first one i loaded.

I have bought both,and according to the Ableton i should be able to run 9 & 10 side by side.
I think when Ableton says "side-by-side", they're meaning that you can have both programs on the same system, not running at the same time. I can't see why you would need to do this in that way.

If you want to add tracks or midi samples from a previous set, why don't you just locate the set in the Live browser and click on the drop down menu, next to the sets name. There you will find all the tracks you had made and any of the midi or audio clips that correspond to those tracks. It's far simpler dragging what you need, rather that using rewire.

I've also been loading sets, that were made using Live 9, onto Live 10 and all have loaded with no issues whatsoever.

Live 10 has been a very solid release. I'm so happy with it.