Any tips for some GOOD studio headphones?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
G-Pop

Re: Any tips for some GOOD studio headphones?

Post by G-Pop » Sat May 26, 2018 6:32 pm

Christian,

You asked for simplification for your private amplification and got...
complications!
Sorry, warped sense of humor...

OK so they are apparently a very personal thing. I would say that a
LOT of variation comes from the fact that "reality" is perception
by individuals. We are all slightly different where this is concerned.
I learned this at thirteen when I realized that my father (red-spectrum
color-blind) saw the world VERY differently that I did... funny story for
another time.

I wanted to say I run my phones NOT through the studio amp out, but
through the direct "phones out" from my USB interface, which is a Scarlett
2i2, and does NOT have a lot of output power, and STILL can put out
JUST ENOUGH VOLUME to cause my ears to "ring" a bit after a "too-long"
mixing session. I saw you ask about that above (headphone amps.)

I am one of the less experienced people on the board where engineering
is concerned but from past experience;

1. The more "crap" you put between the "digits" and the final output,
the more that final output is effected (usually by frequency response
issues)

2. LOUD... I have no amp (as explained above) and I've learned to run
my MAX phones out volume at NO MORE THAN 7 (Scarlette's output.) The
reason is I was getting strange results;

The next day, with FRESH EARS and speakers, the highs were always
TOO HARSH after a long mixing session at "higher" volumes. Masters
would sound PERFECT to me when I went to bed, only in the morning to
piss me off with high-end harshness.

I realized this was ME... NOT the equipment, and from what I've read
by professionals (who've written books on mixing/mastering) this happens
to them TOO. "Fresh EARS makes a good mix / mastering job" one says.

SO, I suggest for BOTH of those reasons try to just accept the volume
level direct out from your interface FIRST and don't mix at high volumes,
but DO TEST IT loud, to make sure they jibe.

Sorry, I've just written a book here but I thought this was important.
I've also come to trust that the "Tribal Elders" here will gracefully
challenge and correct me when I'm "off-the-rails."
Good Luck!

G-pop
Live10std. Win8x, 8G ram, Scarlette 2i2[1stGen] & ASIO[2ndGen]-KorgN5, M-audio MIDI, various guitarz!
Without skillz, we're all just Monkeys with Shotguns!

Christian_R

Post by Christian_R » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:02 am

I want the sound to be as neutral as possible. The ones I use now (Sony MDR-1RBT) are okay, but I wouldn't mind having something better suited for mixing. After reading here, it seems like open-back ones is the way to go as I will mix in a relatively quiet environment ;)

i3ullseye

Post by i3ullseye » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:41 pm

I am going to post a likely unpopular response here.......

Are you looking or something to work with or mix with? If you are actively working, I am really happy with my Turtle Beach headphones. They are older P11 series. yeah, i know people don't like gaming headsets for mixing, but when actually making tracks these headphones are awesome. They have 50mm drivers, and I have only heard a very few other headphones that give me the bass all the way down into studio monitor range like these do.

They also have 2 connections. One mini jack, and the other is USB. And there is a volume control for each one on the cable, so I have USB for my PC sounds, and the mini through a converter (I know I know) up to a 1/4" jack plugged into my audio interface. This means I hear my Live output alongside any web browsing or chatting I might be doing, and can adjust the volume between the two. I think this also keeps all the audio enhancement stuff like bass boost and everything strictly on the USB side, giving a fairly clean signal on the headphone jack side. At around $100, they are fantastic.

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:46 pm

I'm a big fan of the Sennheiser HD-650's as well. I've had mine for many years and they hold up very well. I use HD-25's when out performing but when I'm at home the HD-650's are what get used the majority of the time.

I tried the DT-770's before I got the 650's and I found that they were too bass heavy (it's a preference thing) and caused me to mix my bass too quiet. The open back design on the HD-650's seems to give a feeling of distance to the speakers from your ears, more natural sounding I think.

I tend to use the 650's during the creation process mostly to check fine details of sounds and to do micro edit's and check balance/low end (they go super low). I can hear details on them very well which is also why I love them. You can hear very subtle changes in amplitude, such as envelope tails and changes (good for hearing compression too).

Definitely need to switch to the speakers before too long though or I will make too many mistakes that sound good in headphones but not on the speakers. This isn't the HD-650's fault just inherent in headphone creation and mixing. I was able to find a nice shorter cord for them too so I don't have the 10 foot long cable laying everywhere while I'm using them.

You can't go wrong with the HD-650's IMHO but it's really your call and how they work for you.
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

TLW

Post by TLW » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:08 pm

Beyer dt-990 Pro are pretty good. Like all phones their response isn’t flat, though neither are monitors or the room they’re in, and if you’ve small monitors phones are a way to find out what’s going on in the bass that the monitors don’t reproduce. It’s worth getting headphones that Sonarworks or Waves NX have profiles for because that will help smooth out the response.

Mixing entirely in phones can be done, but it isn’t the best way to do it. Monitors, even inexpensive ones, can reveal problems that phones hide like phasing issues between the left and right channels. Headphones can also get tiring much sooner than monotors,
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

Dr. Zoiberg

Post by Dr. Zoiberg » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:55 pm

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/revie ... -listening

lots of data and measurements

I'm probably going to buy ATH-M50x individually calibrated for sonarworks

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:32 pm

Airyck wrote:I'm a big fan of the Sennheiser HD-650's as well. I've had mine for many years and they hold up very well. I use HD-25's when out performing but when I'm at home the HD-650's are what get used the majority of the time.

I tried the DT-770's before I got the 650's and I found that they were too bass heavy (it's a preference thing) and caused me to mix my bass too quiet. The open back design on the HD-650's seems to give a feeling of distance to the speakers from your ears, more natural sounding I think.

I tend to use the 650's during the creation process mostly to check fine details of sounds and to do micro edit's and check balance/low end (they go super low). I can hear details on them very well which is also why I love them. You can hear very subtle changes in amplitude, such as envelope tails and changes (good for hearing compression too).

Definitely need to switch to the speakers before too long though or I will make too many mistakes that sound good in headphones but not on the speakers. This isn't the HD-650's fault just inherent in headphone creation and mixing. I was able to find a nice shorter cord for them too so I don't have the 10 foot long cable laying everywhere while I'm using them.

You can't go wrong with the HD-650's IMHO but it's really your call and how they work for you.
Totally agree with your HD650 thoughts - and holy hell yes on that long old cable! Another thing to note about them is that they are very comfortable.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:34 pm

Flexbusterman8888 wrote:
Shift Gorden wrote:
I got the Sennheiser HD650s and I absolutely love them.
Do you use a headphone amplifier when using your Sennheisers to mix?
Sorry, mate - only just saw this.

No mate - I just have them hooked up to my 18i20 interface, that seems to power them sufficiently. No problems there! They work well with my Apogee Duet and my 2i4, too.

Oh, are we talking about production mixing, or DJ mixing? I don't do much DJ mixing, but I think the HD650s wouldn't be the best choice since they let in a lot of external sound.

Dr. Zoiberg

Post by Dr. Zoiberg » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:35 pm

Shift Gorden wrote: Oh, are we talking about production mixing, or DJ mixing? I don't do much DJ mixing, but I think the HD650s wouldn't be the best choice since they let in a lot of external sound.
they would be a nightmare for dj mixing

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:35 pm

Dr. Zoiberg wrote:
Shift Gorden wrote: Oh, are we talking about production mixing, or DJ mixing? I don't do much DJ mixing, but I think the HD650s wouldn't be the best choice since they let in a lot of external sound.
they would be a nightmare for dj mixing
Absolutely. In my temp studio (i.e. a table in the middle of the house) I could hear the TV, my wife, my wife watching the TV...nightmare.

oratowsky

Post by oratowsky » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:11 am

Stace30 wrote:I bought the KRK 8400 headphones for £100 and they are the best headphones I've ever had. There is also the cheaper KRK 6400 that are great too (£69). They both have really good reviews.
I also have KRK 8400. they are the best.

I would kind of describe them like an ns10 of headphones .. they are maybe not so flattering but translate amazing and provide a lot of detail.

I've had mine for like 5 or 6 years and i've replcaed the cushions a couple of times but the drivers still work as good as ever.

Get em !!

Christian_R

Post by Christian_R » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:20 pm

i3ullseye wrote:Are you looking or something to work with or mix with?
Thanks for the reply. I need them for mixing only. I have some decent studio monitors I use for working, but I find it easier to use headphones when I mix the final details. Probably because my apartment doesn't have the best acoustics.

Christian_R

Post by Christian_R » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:27 pm

Airyck wrote:I'm a big fan of the Sennheiser HD-650's as well. I've had mine for many years and they hold up very well. I use HD-25's when out performing but when I'm at home the HD-650's are what get used the majority of the time.
I've been looking at the Sennheiser HD-650, and they seem very nice. I've also read that it lacks some bass, so how does that go with EDM music? I will primarily use them for mixing, so I want as neutral sound as possible.

I also read the the Sennheiser HD-600 has better bass. I would assume that the greater model always is better, so I'm not sure about that.

The one I use now (Sony MDR-1RBT) has too much bass in my opinion, and they make mixing a little hard.

Dr. Zoiberg

Post by Dr. Zoiberg » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:38 pm

I've received the Audio Technica ATH-M50X from Sonarworx, with their individual calibration profile.
The headphones are very good, they have low impedance so they don't need a powerful amp (good if you want to use them plugged directly in hardware synths), and they sound better than DT770 (but close). They are good for electronic music.

But when you start using the Sonarworks Reference 4 plugin, and load the individual calibration file... impressive, you get perfect flat response (with stereo correction), maintain the great bass extension, very detailed sound with 0 latency.
The individual calibration really makes a big difference, go for it. Maybe buy cheaper headphones, but get them calibrated.

Higly recommended!

Christian_R

Post by Christian_R » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:13 am

Thank you all once again for the tips and replies!

Since I'm looking for some good headphones, another question came along: I now just plug the headphones straight into my iMac, but do I need some external sound card to get the best sound, too? Or isn't that as necessary anymore?