Dear Abletons - important question re:noobs

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Should there be a FAQ thread for noobs

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
67%
no
3%
There should be a FAQ thread for YOUR MUM!
30%

Total votes: 30

Komplex

Dear Abletons - important question re:noobs

Post by Komplex » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:36 am

Hi guys, would it be possible to make a FAQ thread for all the noobs and make it sticky at the top of this forum?

It would contain the most common questions a new user would ask and answers to all of them, written in a direct and simple way.

MrSleep

Post by MrSleep » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:48 am

my vote is yes.

and i've deleted my joke just in case it was offensive even though it was directed at no one.

were living in sensitive times, so
sorry. :oops:
Last edited by MrSleep on Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
hurry up.... mr squigle....

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:36 am

oh, i know one about your mom:

Why is your Mom like a bicycle?

Because she has sex with strangers and animals, often with more than one at the same time and sometimes involving devices that use "d" cell batteries or even better yet, plug directly into the wall. :P

oh wait, was it supposed to be a joke?
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Poster

Re: Dear Abletons - important question re:noobs

Post by Poster » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:45 am

Komplex wrote:Hi guys, would it be possible to make a FAQ thread for all the noobs and make it sticky at the top of this forum?

It would contain the most common questions a new user would ask and answers to all of them, written in a direct and simple way.
what is a sticky?

hoffman2k

Re: Dear Abletons - important question re:noobs

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:56 am

Komplex wrote:Hi guys, would it be possible to make a FAQ thread for all the noobs and make it sticky at the top of this forum?

Even with a FAQ thread.... People will just post where they please....

We need a new Ableton forum. Leave this one unchanged...
And let the 6-month old newbies answer those questions.

Let Ableton erect a second site. For livepacks + a forum for actually discussing relevant things like collaborations.....

elektrovert

Post by elektrovert » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:11 am

Why not just a beginner forum?

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:28 am

elektrovert wrote:Why not just a beginner forum?
if there would be an advanced forum....
beginners would post there because they think they will get a quicker reply then in the beginners section.

just look at how many people sometimes post their question in all 4 forums

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:36 am

a newbie is a newbie (is a newbie)
i think even if you put him in front of the very answers he's looking for, he won't realise it, unless someone tells him "you see your question? you see this answer? well, this answer belongs to your question"

i really don't want to hurt any newbie here --we all went through it.

plus, i think it feels good for someone starting to have feedback/advice from more experienced users, it gives this "i'm not that bad" kind of feeling.

so no, i'm definitely for all ppl gathering at a unique (and i mean it) place.

elektrovert

Post by elektrovert » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:04 am

hoffman2k wrote:
beginners would post there because they think they will get a quicker reply then in the beginners section.

I don't thinks so, the beginner forum works perfectly well on www.futuremusic.co.uk

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:08 am

elektrovert wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:

I don't thinks so, the beginner forum works perfectly well on www.futuremusic.co.uk
Yeah. But there's a difference between 5 forum category's. And 25 category's.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:33 am

We need a PDF document entitled 'The Hitch-hikers Guide To Ableton Live'

It has a really friendly front cover with 4 big letters on it that say R T F M

If, for some reason, said newbie does not have a manual, then their copy of Live is probably not legit.

If, for some reason the newbie can't read, then they won't be posting on forums either.

If, the newbie has never worked with digital audio before, then they do have a fairly steep learning curve (not as steep as it used to be though is it!)

After all that's been established, there could be a walkthrough of different examples that reference the manual, written by some kind Ableton Live Veterans using screen grabs.

This could be available from a link on a sticky in the tips and tricks section of the forum, and being a pdf, could be updated from time to time if new features get added.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:44 am

Martyn wrote:We need a PDF document entitled 'The Hitch-hikers Guide To Ableton Live'

It has a really friendly front cover with 4 big letters on it that say R T F M

If, for some reason, said newbie does not have a manual, then their copy of Live is probably not legit.

If, for some reason the newbie can't read, then they won't be posting on forums either.

If, the newbie has never worked with digital audio before, then they do have a fairly steep learning curve (not as steep as it used to be though is it!)

After all that's been established, there could be a walkthrough of different examples that reference the manual, written by some kind Ableton Live Veterans using screen grabs.

This could be available from a link on a sticky in the tips and tricks section of the forum, and being a pdf, could be updated from time to time if new features get added.
Funny you should mention that. I just started reading the tertiary phase.
Don't forget to bring a towel :wink:

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:11 pm

I personally am not bothered by newbie questions.... mostly due to the fact that I'm a noob. :lol:

But I think a FAQ is a great idea..... on any board.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:11 pm

really, what should be is not so much a FAQ that is continually needing updating/editing, but a much better search capability for the very useful and helpful info on these forums.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

telekom

Post by telekom » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:18 pm

Sorry guys don't agree. A "two-speed" forum doesn't do anybody any good. Experts will only mix with experts and become boring old farts. Noobs will only mix with noobs and never learn anything or be inspired by the creative people who inhabit these threads... If someone like AdamJay can rack up 3000+ posts and still give the occasional helping hand to someone with a question, then why can't the rest of us take 2 minutes to do the same. And I don't mean posting a reply saying RTFM. I think this forum is here EXACTLY to help newbies AND experienced users who need help. I bet some of you long time users would feel pretty sick if you'd asked a valid question of your peers and they all just said "f*** you, RTFM". It's why this forum is such a good place to hang out in. If you don't like newbies, don't answer their questions. Don't even read the threads. And DEFINITELY don't just say RTFM. Ignore them. They won't go away but someone else will help them and you won't have to worry about it. End of story.

I do agree that it would be great to have a section of the forum or website that answered all the newbie questions you can think of... but as we all know this resource already exists and is called the manual... and it's a f***ing good manual too ! Maybe a sticky on this forum could actually help noobs by telling which pages of the manual actually address the basic issues at the top if this thread... all the things people claim they are sick of hearing about... because newbies dunno where to look do they ?

Come on, you were all newbies once... :)
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone