Ableton 10.0.2 performance loss.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
[chris b]

Re: Ableton 10.0.2 performance loss.

Post by [chris b] » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:39 pm

I didn't "have to roll back" I chose to because I didn't want to waste time troubleshooting when 10.0.1 was perfectly fine, and I can easily live without the update.

In retrospect it seems the update wasn't the issue, it was loading the new instruments, and even then why is that the fault of the os, it wasn't even playing audio when it crashed.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:56 am

spagbol wrote: However, I have found that the GUI which worked wonderfully in 10.0.1, in 10.0.2 is terrible. Anything that involves graphical animation, so for example Max for Live LFO's (which i do find CPU heavy anyway, even in 10.0.1) just don't function when i load them into track. I mean i can't MAP anything, the graphical representation of the LFO wave doesn't show. I have to save the project, close Ableton and reopen for LFO's to work at all.
LFOs works at once here in macOS 10.12. Complex LFOs does take some CPU power. It's not clear to me why Ableton couldn't just get one from, Simpler say, and reuse that code as a native LFO. Licensing perhaps.
Make some music!

spagbol

Post by spagbol » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:36 pm

Are you talking about LFO's in general when you say LFO"s work at once?
What are you defining as complex LFO's? You mean Max for Live LFO's? Or do you mean LFO's with Stutter usw? Its just i tend to use them rather often, and on.

As it seems a few people here had noticed GUI performance has suffered in 10.0.2, and Max for Live LFO's are animating as such, thought it may be connected.

I mean, if i have the LFO affecting say Auto Filter, as that is also 'animating' (is that the right term here? I don't know), that impacts on performance.

I don't seem to suffer from audio issues, but the GUI seems very laggy.

And Live is using my GPU isn't it?.

Ah wait a minute, I have two graphic cards, and Im using the NVIDIA driver instead of the native Apple it seems. i wonder what effect that will have? Ill just reboot :D
...not having a mid-life crisis....just don't give a fuck about shit i don't give a fuck about anymore.....

spagbol

Post by spagbol » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:49 pm

Recent Safari update fixing the memory leaks has also helped.......really must buy a new ableton dedicated machine that doesnt connect to the internet.
...not having a mid-life crisis....just don't give a fuck about shit i don't give a fuck about anymore.....

spagbol

Post by spagbol » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:20 pm

Keyboard shortcut A not working in 10.0.2....any takers?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:54 pm

spagbol wrote:Keyboard shortcut A not working in 10.0.2....any takers?
Don't piggyback an unrelated question like that, Answer is here in Keyboard shortcut "A" not working in 10.0.2 .
Make some music!

spagbol

Post by spagbol » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:18 pm

soz

spagbol

Post by spagbol » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:22 pm

internets no fun since banks got involved.....:D

patekswiss

Post by patekswiss » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:46 am

10.0.2 is doing some very weird and terrible things, the kind of things that you can't work around.

Crashes? Shit, I've learned to live with Ableton Live crashing since, I dunno, version 6? Still does it, still sucks. I've learned to save constantly. And I still get burned.

Failing to exit without hanging? Yep, still does that. All the time.

Get to the end of a project and Live refuses to render the mixdown? Oh yeah, still get that, that's a fun one. (You have to mix it down to an audio track and than export the audio track).

But now 10.0.2 is doing some really fucked up things. Most VST plug-ins now take forever to load - even plugins that don't use any samples. The default preset on the plugins usually work but as soon as you select a different preset - or change a parameter, 10.0.2 is doing this fucked up thing where it fucks with all the settings on the plug in, giving you sonic mush. Or thin sound (zero bass). Or no sound except maybe a barely audible click. This has happened across numerous synth plugs, including Kontakt, Fabfilter Twin and u-he Hive.

Quitting and restarting Live: does not work.

Deleting plug and replacing: does not work.

Rebooting the Mac: does not work.

(using high sierra)

I've put up with a lot of Ableton bullshit over the years, but this is the worst, most intractable and impossible-to-work-with glitch yet.

There are other display glitches like you can't resize a group column without the application trippily jumping you to the adjacent group. Can't scale piano rolls properly. Real glitchy trippy stuff.

BTW, this all started after I installed those free "8 synths" from that creative pack or whatever its called.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:18 am

patekswiss wrote:10.0.2 is doing some very weird and terrible things, the kind of things that you can't work around.

Crashes? Shit, I've learned to live with Ableton Live crashing since, I dunno, version 6? Still does it, still sucks. I've learned to save constantly. And I still get burned.

Failing to exit without hanging? Yep, still does that. All the time.

Get to the end of a project and Live refuses to render the mixdown? Oh yeah, still get that, that's a fun one. (You have to mix it down to an audio track and than export the audio track).

But now 10.0.2 is doing some really fucked up things. Most VST plug-ins now take forever to load - even plugins that don't use any samples. The default preset on the plugins usually work but as soon as you select a different preset - or change a parameter, 10.0.2 is doing this fucked up thing where it fucks with all the settings on the plug in, giving you sonic mush. Or thin sound (zero bass). Or no sound except maybe a barely audible click. This has happened across numerous synth plugs, including Kontakt, Fabfilter Twin and u-he Hive.

Quitting and restarting Live: does not work.

Deleting plug and replacing: does not work.

Rebooting the Mac: does not work.

(using high sierra)

I've put up with a lot of Ableton bullshit over the years, but this is the worst, most intractable and impossible-to-work-with glitch yet.

There are other display glitches like you can't resize a group column without the application trippily jumping you to the adjacent group. Can't scale piano rolls properly. Real glitchy trippy stuff.

BTW, this all started after I installed those free "8 synths" from that creative pack or whatever its called.
Maybe it's just Mac (or your Mac). I don't/have not had any of these issues in 8 years other than the occasional Crash which happens with any software, i'm on Windows.

Never an issue rendering, closing Live or anything you have listed and that's with daily use so either Live does have all these issues and i'm just lucky or you have some other things going on under your hood.

Just in case you haven't read anything on the boards lately, a number of users (mostly Mac I see) seem to be having issues with 10.0.2 and 3rd party Plugins doing some weird things. The latest Beta might address these issues but as for all your others, no idea, I just don't experience them. I'm either lucky or have a well maintained and tailored system for production.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:05 am

patekswiss wrote: Crashes? Shit, I've learned to live with Ableton Live crashing since, I dunno, version 6? Still does it, still sucks. I've learned to save constantly. And I still get burned.
Then you're doing it wrong or lack the know-how setting up a Mac. I don't have crashes other than occasionally when I do something odd. Sometimes I hit a bug, usually a plug-in. I identify the culprit, report it to Ableton and the plug-in maker and I get rid of it until there's an update. In sessions I typically haven't had crashes for years. I've used Live 10 since December along with Live 9.

Live shouldn't crash when a plug-in goes down though. I'm not sure why Ableton can't do give plug-ins their own process and memory space. Anyway, I think Ableton should focus only on speed and stability for the rest of 2018.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:55 pm

Seems like everyone is getting varied results regardless of OS.. I think I've been one of the lucky ones so far with no major issues to report with 10.0.2.. although the latest beta I downloaded won't recognize PUSH2 for some reason..

OSX 10.13.5
iMac 4.0 Ghz Quad
512 SSD
UAD Apollo

cmprvndncr

Post by cmprvndncr » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:40 am

I think mine is running bad on 10.0.2

Namely cpu maxing out, like 135% stuttering, grainy, terrible sound... Seems like raising buffer helps, but didn't seem necessary on 10.0.1 think I'll roll back...

spendthrift2

Post by spendthrift2 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:28 pm

I had an issue with crackles and dropouts. My CPU counter (or whatever it's called) in the top right of Live was hitting over 100% when I was using Interplanetary Trip Pad or something like that. I got on the horn with Ableton and they girl who I was speaking with helped me adjust my advanced power settings. Apparently there was a default setting on my laptop (It's a Dell Latitude E6410 w/ i5 processor 2.4GHz and 8GB RAM) that had the processor set to perform at 5% on battery and when plugged in. The name of the setting within advanced power settings was: Processor power management > then access minimum processor state & maximum power state > change both to 100% on both battery & when plugged in. :roll:

It totally fixed my issue, and now Ableton does everything I want it to! :mrgreen:

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:46 pm

spendthrift2 wrote:Apparently there was a default setting on my laptop (It's a Dell Latitude E6410 w/ i5 processor 2.4GHz and 8GB RAM) that had the processor set to perform at 5% on battery and when plugged in. The name of the setting within advanced power settings was: Processor power management > then access minimum processor state & maximum power state > change both to 100% on both battery & when plugged in.
The first thing to check in these types of cases. It should be in the first display when opening Live for the first time.
Make some music!