Many Of My Audio Samples Are Not Appearing In L9's Browser

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
murgatroid

Many Of My Audio Samples Are Not Appearing In L9's Browser

Post by murgatroid » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:23 am

I 'Add Folder' in the 'Places' section of the browser in which to put my audio samples I've collected over the years. Problem is many of the samples I have in their respective folders don't appear in the browser so I can use them. I don't recall ever having this problem with L8. All this stuff I have on ext. hdd's.

For example, I have a ton of clips I sampled from a movie. However, only ONE bloody clip shows up in its folder in the browser. I've used them before in L8 so many of the samples have a corressponding ASD file for it.

And there doesn't seem to be no rhyme or reason for it. Some folders most, if not all the clips in them show up. Others not. I don't get it. Thought maybe it might have something to do with the file themselves. I went on a movie clips jag years ago (around '01-'02) and I probably used Bias's Peak for editing, however that's probably not it as the files that do show and the ones that don't were made the same way.

I recall when 9 came out everyone was screaming about how bad the browser was/is. Is my problem part of this too? What I'd like to know is how I get 9 to bloody 'see' all my audio clips? I don't see any particular rescan button in the prefs for this particular issue

Thanks

jestermgee

Re: Many Of My Audio Samples Are Not Appearing In L9's Browser

Post by jestermgee » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:11 am

What are the file formats?

If you have a large amount of files Live may be indexing them so may take a few minutes to appear

murgatroid

Re: Many Of My Audio Samples Are Not Appearing In L9's Browser

Post by murgatroid » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:41 am

Hi.
This would be the case even after having Live open for a long time. The files are AIFF. I find it strange that others of the same format do appear.
That whole thing about indexing threw me off in the beginning when my content and stuff wasn't immediately available. However these 'missing' clips would've been indexed a long time ago already. I tried trashing the ASD files that were in there since using L8 but that didn't help.

I'll try an experiment and convert some files to WAV or redo them as AIFF and see what happens

Damn... now I see what's going on. For some reason, the clips that aren't showing up don't have either an AIF(F) or WAV extension after the names.

Obviously L8 didn't have this issue as I was able to use them without file extension as I have .asd files created for them in 8.