EDM kicks

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
strangedaysuk

EDM kicks

Post by strangedaysuk » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:01 am

Just wondering if any of the Ableton drum packs are worth a download - or what do you use for producing typical EDM club style tracks.

I'm thinking of the very typical tropical sounding tracks. Ive got some KSHMR ones ive used for ages but fancy more of a collection.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: EDM kicks

Post by [jur] » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:34 pm

There's plenty of free packs... You should try them.
Ableton Forum Moderator

2pauluzz2

Post by 2pauluzz2 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:26 am

I don't like those particular kicks myself, but I believe everyone and their grandmothers use Sonic Academy Kick 2 for this. The first kick you're presented with when you load up the plugin is a typical punchy, hard-hitting EDM-style kick.

Edit: I don't want to give anyone the impression that you need a certain third party tool to achieve good results. The same can be done with Operator (since SA Kick 2's tight bottom end is achieved via a sine wave, which is identical in Operator) and good use of saturation, compression, fades, layering, eq, etc. It's just that if you're after that specific sound, SA Kick 2 will get you close quicker.

pottering

Post by pottering » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:56 am

All the new Live 10 curated packs are great, very well done. Preference is down to genre preferences, really.

(Though I guess "Drive and Glow" is the one closest to "tropical")

I'll recommend to check those out before spending any money on other stuff.

The new packs are the ones marked with a blue "New in Live 10" tag here :

https://www.ableton.com/en/live/compare-editions/
♥♥♥