Beatbuddy linked to Ableton Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Dirk C

Beatbuddy linked to Ableton Live

Post by Dirk C » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:00 pm

I use Ableton Live 10 and want to control the tempo of my BeatBuddy (BB) by changing the tempo in Live. To connect the USB-connector of my computer with the DIN-connector of the BB, I use a M-Audio 2x2 USB interface. So, I've installed the driver of it and within Live I've choosen M-audio out A as midi out.

On the BeatBuddy side, I didn't do anything at the settings. The idea is recording a guitar and the drums within the BB at the same time, but if I make an audio track in Live and change the tempo, nothing happens on the BB side.

What is wrong?

scheffkoch

Re: Beatbuddy linked to Ableton Live

Post by scheffkoch » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:13 pm

...you have to select "sync" under "output" for your m-audio interface within ableton midi preferences...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

Dirk C

Post by Dirk C » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:44 pm

I've done that! When I click on a transport button (play/stop/record) a led is burning on the USB-port, so Ableton is sending midi-information to it.

But further on the line, how is that information recognized by the Beatbuddy sent by the usb-port?

In Live at the Preference panel, I only can fill out under MIDI port, "M-audio + port" (the usb port that links an USB-conncetor to a DIN-midi connector) and set "Sync" active, but there is no Control surface filled out...

The BeatBuddy doesn't seem to react to all that midi information.

Any idea?

oratowsky

Post by oratowsky » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:49 pm

You may also have to set up the BeatBuddy to do this so it listens for incoming clock.

Dirk C

Post by Dirk C » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:42 am

I've done everything on the BeatBuddy side that the manual is telling me. Because the USB-port receives midi-information (LEDs are blinking), there is still the break out cable and the BeatBuddy itself to be checked, but it seems very strange to me: all youtube video's don't have the type of problem that I have...

Dirk C

Post by Dirk C » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:14 pm

Last update: I have sent the BB back to the supplier. Curious what they will say...

jmedendorp

Post by jmedendorp » Sat May 25, 2019 3:52 pm

Any news on this? I'm trying to set my BeatBuddy up as a Midi as well.

Dirk C

Post by Dirk C » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:54 am

The solution was a simple one: I've returned the BeatBuddy plus cable to the shop where I had bought it and they found out that the cable was not working properly... End of story! In the meantime I'm a happy midi-BeatBuddy musician!