Getting midi out from a channel other than 1?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
mike_o

Getting midi out from a channel other than 1?

Post by mike_o » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:52 am

is there a way to get midi out from a vst on a channel other than 1?

I'm programming this instrument in reaktor and I've set it up so that the sequencer outputs note data on channel 1 for the sequencer itself.

on channel 2 it outputs clock sync midi notes to synchronize other instruments with itself.

it has a random shuffler/slicer effect on the midi sequencer that creates drum fills and rolls, I created a system where other instances of reaktor can follow along to the shuffler/slicer timing and follow along to the random steps in the sequencer.

the shuffler/slicer info is output on midi channel 2.

I need to set the second instance of reaktor to receive midi from the first instance of reaktor on channel 2.

can ableton receive midi from a vst into another track on channel 2.

Thanks.

jestermgee

Re: Getting midi out from a channel other than 1?

Post by jestermgee » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:54 am

mike_o wrote:is there a way to get midi out from a vst on a channel other than 1?

I'm programming this instrument in reaktor and I've set it up so that the sequencer outputs note data on channel 1 for the sequencer itself.

on channel 2 it outputs clock sync midi notes to synchronize other instruments with itself.

it has a random shuffler/slicer effect on the midi sequencer that creates drum fills and rolls, I created a system where other instances of reaktor can follow along to the shuffler/slicer timing and follow along to the random steps in the sequencer.

the shuffler/slicer info is output on midi channel 2.

I need to set the second instance of reaktor to receive midi from the first instance of reaktor on channel 2.

can ableton receive midi from a vst into another track on channel 2.

Thanks.

You need to load a second MIDI track with Reactor loaded and set the MIDI From to the first track, then set your channel:

Should be the way

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:11 am

Has the limitation with just channel 1 in Live been lifted? I never had to try channel separation, but this limitation have been repeated often.
Make some music!

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:59 am

...i also don't have any problems with channel separation BUT: when i have selected e.g. midi channel 4 for one track i'm not able to play the instrument on this channel with my push...
macbook pro late 2018, osx 10.14.6, rme multiface via sonnet thunderbolt expresscard adapter + thunderbolt to usb-c adapter, ableton live 10.1.7, push 2, komplete 9, maschine 2.9.2, touchable

mike_o

Post by mike_o » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:30 pm

scheffkoch wrote:...i also don't have any problems with channel separation BUT: when i have selected e.g. midi channel 4 for one track i'm not able to play the instrument on this channel with my push...

that's not what we're talking about, If you load a vst that offers midi output, you can only capture midi from channel one.