WHY take away the quantized previewing of short audio files?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Grill Pheiss

WHY take away the quantized previewing of short audio files?

Post by Grill Pheiss » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:42 am

in Live 10??

one of the most usable feature of the browser? this is havig too much of an impact on work flow! you were able to select "NONE" as a
time signature to just preview any file without any quantization, so WHY take the funcion away?

why not make it an option?

Stromkraft

Re: WHY take away the quantized previewing of short audio files?

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:31 am

Quantized? Do you mean tempo adjustment? This is present in Live 10. You choose "Raw" to avoid it.

If we could quantize clips already in the browser, then I missed that feature.
Make some music!

Grill Pheiss

Post by Grill Pheiss » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:47 pm

Stromkraft wrote:Quantized? Do you mean tempo adjustment? This is present in Live 10. You choose "Raw" to avoid it.

If we could quantize clips already in the browser, then I missed that feature.
nah I'm talking about quantized previewing of one shots (one shot drum samples for example, or any short audio file)

ultra usefull to preview snare/kicks/hats in context, ultra usefull when working on layering kicks or snares also -

now it's just a mess tbh, why not give us the option back and who decided this amazing feature was a bad idea

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:07 am

Grill Pheiss wrote:I'm talking about quantized previewing of one shots (one shot drum samples for example, or any short audio file)
Quantized to the bar's 1.1.1? If you mean repeated playback this doesn't occur for me in Live 9. It must be a setting.

OK, verified that in Live 9 you need to use either "Warped Loop" or "Warped One-Shot" for the short sample to repeat. In Live 10 this doesn't help. This is what you mean?
Make some music!

Grill Pheiss

Post by Grill Pheiss » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:08 am

Stromkraft wrote:
Grill Pheiss wrote:I'm talking about quantized previewing of one shots (one shot drum samples for example, or any short audio file)
Quantized to the bar's 1.1.1? If you mean repeated playback this doesn't occur for me in Live 9. It must be a setting.

OK, verified that in Live 9 you need to use either "Warped Loop" or "Warped One-Shot" for the short sample to repeat. In Live 10 this doesn't help. This is what you mean?

no -

here, straight from the release notes of Live 10 :

"When previewing samples in the browser, samples less than 2.5 seconds will always play unwarped and unquantized. Samples longer than 2.5 seconds are unchanged and will play quantized unless the "Raw" button is on."

you already COULD have this messy playback of short samples by just bypassing the quantizing of the browser!

this is not an improvement at all, this is breaking something that worked just fine and that developped workflows that were maybe not even planned by people at Ableton -

Personally can't work without it.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:14 am

Grill Pheiss wrote: you already COULD have this messy playback of short samples by just bypassing the quantizing of the browser!
I actually didn't know long samples were quantized in the preview. I agree it should be an option whether short samples are not.

How do you bypass this quantizing in Live 9? Is there some beta suggestion people can vote on to rectify this lacking now?
Make some music!

Grill Pheiss

Post by Grill Pheiss » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:18 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Grill Pheiss wrote: you already COULD have this messy playback of short samples by just bypassing the quantizing of the browser!
I actually didn't know long samples were quantized in the preview. I agree it should be an option whether short samples are not.

How do you bypass this quantizing in Live 9? Is there some beta suggestion people can vote on to rectify this lacking now?
In Live 9 you bypass the quantized playback of samples (long or short) by selecting NONE in the little window above the browser.
To give you perspective on what was possible in 9 : you could preview snares/clap/kicks and play them quantized (according to the selected quantize definition of the browser) by pressing the right arrow key on your computer keyboard, in realtime, in context of your song. You can't do that in 10 anymore-

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:33 pm

Grill Pheiss wrote:in Live 10??

one of the most usable feature of the browser? this is havig too much of an impact on work flow! you were able to select "NONE" as a
time signature to just preview any file without any quantization, so WHY take the funcion away?

why not make it an option?

I used to like this feature as well but I didn't realize it is gone now.

Myopic

Post by Myopic » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:18 pm

I would LOVE for the RAW setting in the browser to be remembered. I like loops to be warped when I import them, but I don't want the browser preview to be warped. At the moment I need to select RAW every time I reload Live.
-Tim Meighen

Stace30

Post by Stace30 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:50 am

Grill Pheiss wrote: you could preview snares/clap/kicks and play them quantized (according to the selected quantize definition of the browser) by pressing the right arrow key on your computer keyboard, in realtime, in context of your song.
Well I'll be blown! I didn't know you could do that?! I'm still on 9 so great! :)
Live 10 Suite, M4L, MPC TOUCH - MPC software v2.7, Reason 4, Komplete 11, i7 Laptop, 12g Ram, Win 10, Adam A7's & Genelec 8010's - Joined Forum in 2006.

Grill Pheiss

Post by Grill Pheiss » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:57 pm

Stace30 wrote:
Grill Pheiss wrote: you could preview snares/clap/kicks and play them quantized (according to the selected quantize definition of the browser) by pressing the right arrow key on your computer keyboard, in realtime, in context of your song.
Well I'll be blown! I didn't know you could do that?! I'm still on 9 so great! :)
I'm failry certain Ableton did not know either if they made it a new feature to not behave like this in 10.

But it was a killer aspect of the browser.

Grill Pheiss

Post by Grill Pheiss » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:13 am

Allright I've had it!

why was this removed! why take away the AMAZING ability (that live 9 had) to preview one shots QUANTIZED and in context of the tempo of your song?

Why not at least give us the option, EXPECIALLY since we've had this for a decade prior to 10 with all preceding versions of live!

is anybody listening?

seriously this has made layering kicks/snare a living nightmare

Grill Pheiss

Post by Grill Pheiss » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:54 pm

Ableton?

CBOO

Post by CBOO » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:44 pm

Insane! i was just looking up how to enable this feature in 10 and found this post, can't believe it's gone. Seriously miss this functionality, incredibly useful for sample selection while producing, being able to test samples in phase and on the beat. Is there a reason why this was removed?