How can I map a macro control to a midi note in piano roll ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Amine Metani

How can I map a macro control to a midi note in piano roll ?

Post by Amine Metani » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:10 pm

Hello,

I am trying to do something quite simple: I would like to be able to use a midi note in piano roll to trigger a macro control from 0 to 127 (first time), and then from 127 to 0 (second time).

It seems that macro controls cannot be mapped with midi notes, because even with an external keyboard, I haven't been able to do so.

Any clue ?
Thanks,
Amine

jwing

Re: How can I map a macro control to a midi note in piano roll ?

Post by jwing » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:15 pm

Sure you totally can. Right click the macro knob you wish to affect, select "Edit Midi Map," strike whatever key you wish to map it to on the keyboard. Exit midi map mode and voila! By default the setting would be on/off, so basically 0-127 and 127-0. Hope that helps.

Amine Metani

Post by Amine Metani » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:26 pm

Dear jwing, thanks a lot for your answer.

That is actually the first thing I tried to do, and it didn't work. Which is why I assumed we can only map macro control with control change but not midi notes.

Moreover, what I want to do is being able to trigger the macro control from the piano roll of a clip. I've created a clip playing in loop with one midi note, and then I've clicked the midi map button, waited, but nothing happened.

Any idea how I could do that?
Cheers,
Amine

Amine Metani

Post by Amine Metani » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:34 pm

Dear jwing, I've just figured it out.

I used a second midi track in which I've put my clip. In midi output I chose IAC bus.

Then on the track that used my macro control I've chose IAC bus as midi input.

The trick is that I had to enable "Telec." in the midi input in the midi configuration tab of the preferences panel.

Now I'm able to control macros with midi notes from midi clips.

Thanks for your help,
Amine

v.v.

Post by v.v. » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:08 am

This was helpful: thanks! Now if i could only figure out how releasing the note could bring the macro back to zero (instead of toggling). Any idea of how to do that?