touchscreen vs slate raven

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hungry_Man

touchscreen vs slate raven

Post by Hungry_Man » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:18 am

Hello All

I'm currently building a new music studio and am looking at alternative workflows. Right now i'm planning to get a 48" 4k monitor and an ipad for hands-on device control. Navigation with a mouse, programming with drum pads and weighted midi keyboard.

However I'm looking at alternatives e.g. touchscreen and Slate Raven, also thinking about a multi-monitor setup.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with recently released touchscreen monitors? Most forum posts i've read have said that touchscreen with ableton is glitchy at best with the exception of Slate Raven which has come down a lot in price with the MTi

Thanks

spendthrift2

Re: touchscreen vs slate raven

Post by spendthrift2 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:13 pm

Hungry_Man wrote:Hello All

I'm currently building a new music studio and am looking at alternative workflows. Right now i'm planning to get a 48" 4k monitor and an ipad for hands-on device control. Navigation with a mouse, programming with drum pads and weighted midi keyboard.

However I'm looking at alternatives e.g. touchscreen and Slate Raven, also thinking about a multi-monitor setup.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with recently released touchscreen monitors? Most forum posts i've read have said that touchscreen with ableton is glitchy at best with the exception of Slate Raven which has come down a lot in price with the MTi

Thanks
I know nothing about the technical aspects, but I can only assume that they are becoming more popular, only because I've seen the stands for them at guitar center. I have a two-tier stand for my laptop and MIDI controller, and all I can say is it made things make better sense. Just ergonomically.

I tried to find a picture of the product I'm talking about but I can't find it... EDIT: Found them. It was under "Tablet Stand" not "Touchscreen Stand". Lol.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/search?typ ... blet+stand

It won't let me post an image, but here is a link.

Ok, so my point is that, in my opinion, they wouldn't be marketing this if it weren't useful. I could be wrong. What can the tablet you're looking at do?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:45 am

spendthrift2 wrote: I know nothing about the technical aspects, but I can only assume that they are becoming more popular, only because I've seen the stands for them at guitar center. I have a two-tier stand for my laptop and MIDI controller, and all I can say is it made things make better sense. Just ergonomically.

I tried to find a picture of the product I'm talking about but I can't find it... EDIT: Found them. It was under "Tablet Stand" not "Touchscreen Stand". Lol.

Ok, so my point is that, in my opinion, they wouldn't be marketing this if it weren't useful. I could be wrong. What can the tablet you're looking at do?
Think you might have missed the mark of the question a bit there.

I'm a tech kind of person and I have used touch screens, ipad controllers as well as hardware controllers, MCU, Push etc. I have to say that consistently I use my mouse, MIDI keyboard and MCU controller because of the physical hands on control.

ipads and touch screens have some convenience but lack any tactile feedback so it is hard/impossible to make any adjustments without looking directly at what you need to touch. One thing with something lie an MCU is you can grab and ride a fader without moving it and rest your hand on the console.

Touch screens are fiddly with the small controls Live offers and I still do not believe Live works well with touch screens period. TouchAble is a good companion to Live but as much as people want to pretend they are in a hardware wonderland that does not have a computer at the epicentre, working with good ole keyboard+mouse is often just as fast and accurate ans anything else, just not as "inspiring" as using hardware or magic touch interfaces. You can always use an ipad with VNC software to create a kind of touchscreen interface for your PC. I sometimes do this when I need to but I would personally never want to be placing my oily fingers all over my monitors and especially when they sit vertically and I would have to reach over my geat to touch them.

Now, I personally use a triple monitor setup with smaller 28" monitors rather than a single monster monitor. Reasons are that it is easier to split work over multiple monitors and have each monitor dedicated quickly to a task. You can split a single monitor up into work areas but personally I find the ability to have multiple monitors and some management software so much better since it offers things like macro keys to move a window between monitors.

I do a lot of programming and other work and have had dual monitors since 2000 (when you needed 2 physical cards for it) and could never function with just 1 monitor anymore. In fact when I went to 3 monitors I thought that was going to be overkill but I could seriously make use of a 4 monitor setup these days since i'm working over 2 computers for most of my day and have normally a dozen different projects on the go at any one time.

spendthrift2

Post by spendthrift2 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:52 am

jestermgee wrote:
spendthrift2 wrote: I know nothing about the technical aspects, but I can only assume that they are becoming more popular, only because I've seen the stands for them at guitar center. I have a two-tier stand for my laptop and MIDI controller, and all I can say is it made things make better sense. Just ergonomically.

Think you might have missed the mark of the question a bit there.

I'm a tech kind of person and I have used touch screens, ipad controllers as well as hardware controllers, MCU, Push etc. I have to say that consistently I use my mouse, MIDI keyboard and MCU controller because of the physical hands on control.

ipads and touch screens have some convenience but lack any tactile feedback so it is hard/impossible to make any adjustments without looking directly at what you need to touch. One thing with something lie an MCU is you can grab and ride a fader without moving it and rest your hand on the console.

Touch screens are fiddly with the small controls Live offers and I still do not believe Live works well with touch screens period. TouchAble is a good companion to Live but as much as people want to pretend they are in a hardware wonderland that does not have a computer at the epicentre, working with good ole keyboard+mouse is often just as fast and accurate ans anything else, just not as "inspiring" as using hardware or magic touch interfaces. You can always use an ipad with VNC software to create a kind of touchscreen interface for your PC. I sometimes do this when I need to but I would personally never want to be placing my oily fingers all over my monitors and especially when they sit vertically and I would have to reach over my geat to touch them.

Now, I personally use a triple monitor setup with smaller 28" monitors rather than a single monster monitor. Reasons are that it is easier to split work over multiple monitors and have each monitor dedicated quickly to a task. You can split a single monitor up into work areas but personally I find the ability to have multiple monitors and some management software so much better since it offers things like macro keys to move a window between monitors.

I do a lot of programming and other work and have had dual monitors since 2000 (when you needed 2 physical cards for it) and could never function with just 1 monitor anymore. In fact when I went to 3 monitors I thought that was going to be overkill but I could seriously make use of a 4 monitor setup these days since i'm working over 2 computers for most of my day and have normally a dozen different projects on the go at any one time.
You're right. I had it wrong. I don't remember what I was thinking but I realize now that your question is more about the technical aspects of a touchscreen and a slate raven. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

EDIT: Here is what I was able to find on another site where I'm a member about Slate Raven. https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/search.p ... mit=Search

Also, guitarcenter has this video. I don't know if it's the same as what you're looking at getting.

https://youtu.be/9iWdTJXOK4E

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:28 pm

The advantage is slate is a few customizable screens. Particularly ways in which you can have an overlay and 'cut out' parts of the overlay to reveal your software underneath. This is better for dj software and live performance though, not production.

The only place production might really shine is some macros of built in shortcuts that are visible and touchable.

The issue with Live itself is its lack of support for multitouch. Until they change that, you're super limited in your experience.

You can be riding a filter with one finger but if you try to adjust a send simultaneously it's just not possible.

Touch screens are kind-of nice to have. But they currently don't do much to heat out the mouse and keyboard plus hardware midi controllers or midi/osc-based layouts designed on an iPad on the side. Touching the physical screen is only really good for slipping the volume down a little occasionally. Or quickly plopping in a simple drum beat in a midi clip. Clip playback is a nightmare since the 'play' part of the clip is a tiny part of it (zoom helps a little)

Lastly, for monitors with touch you need to consider ergonomics. A tablet is wonderful for touch. You can hold it or set it down or whatever. When you get closer to things being held-down into a spot you really need to consider what the ideal touch VS viewing angle ought to be. Some people need a touch 'table' for their needs, others want a wall. For long sessions it is nice to have something a little under 45 degrees from a flat surface (assumption, not science based). You must be able to have it close enough, such that your arms aren't reaching out 1.5 feet away from your body.

Oh, one more point on Windows. Windows has touch support but a lot of interfaces which don't support touch, which might be designed for a mouse, let's say a keyboard on a vst (or Tom Cosm's 'touch keyboard' on the maxforlive site), buttons and surfaces meant to be 'clicked' on but not designed fully for touch, you must press your finger onto the surface then slightly nudge your finger before it acknowledges you're 'hold'ing it. This is more of a Windows problem though.

Still, having tough support can be nice. I don't think you need Slate at all. But the touch will at least futureproof your setup incase some nice updates come along. I guess Bitwig is having all the fun for now when it comes to multitouch support.