2 keys that are not working in Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
danny klim

2 keys that are not working in Live

Post by danny klim » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:57 pm

Hi, I am having an issue with a keyboard where there are are 2 keys that are not working in Live, Could you please help?

When I hit one of these keys in Live, there is no sound at all. It does trigger an orange flashing light near the top right corner of the screen to the left of the MIDI button (and the other nonworking key triggers the orange and blue light here). When I hit any of the working keys, these boxes don’t light up at all- instead, it lights up just the far right boxes to the right of the D. I’ve tried making new instruments, restarting Live and computer, but nothing has fixed it and Live isn’t letting me make sound with the keys yet.

These 2 keys are still working outside of Live, they are triggering midi commands in other applications without issue and they are being received fine in Midi monitor. In the pic below, the top half of midi messages were from keys that work fine and the two keys that aren’t producing sound are repeated at the end (E and D#). The keyboard is the key station 88.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/howxtfa9hodvy ... 7.png?dl=0

There’s alot of other controllers also receiving messages for some reason too, I’m wondering if its conflicting with some accidental midi mapping in Live or with one of my other controllers. Wondering why the Push and APC 40 are being triggered at all, I would have expected only the key station to trigger, would appreciate insight about this as well.

It seems that the one of the non-working buttons are also triggering something called Hold Pedal. I don’t know what this is and never purposely programmed any midi command on the keys of the keyboard.

So how can I make the keys produce sound again?

What exactly do the flashing lights in Live mean?

Do I need to delete a mapping for the APC40 and/or Push? If so, how can I find it?

Or is there something else that I need to fix? If so, what?

yur2die4

Re: 2 keys that are not working in Live

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:35 pm

There are a lot of fixes, some would possibly mess up your mapping layout you have.

When 'Remote' is On in midi preferences, mappings work for your controller if those mappings share the same midi channel and same mapped key or control.

If you turned Remote off for your keyboard, all midi mappings would be off on your keyboard, including any mapped faders etc if you've mapped them. You can always turn Remote off and then back on again.

The safest, least destructive option would be to change the midi channel on your keyboard. The mappings already applied to those keys are probably only applicable on midi channel 1. If your keyboard is switched to ch.2 you 'should' have a mostly unmapped midi channel you can make use of.

There are a few other methods also. But turning Remote off or playing with midi channel should do the trick. If you don't like having to change the midi channel, see what controller of yours has those keys mapped and either find another mapping method, change the behavior of the mapped buttons so they're not Keys, or change the midi channel of the mapped device hardware and then remap every control on it in that new midi channel.

Muze

Post by Muze » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:20 pm

danny klim wrote:Hi, I am having an issue with a keyboard where there are are 2 keys that are not working in Live, Could you please help?

When I hit one of these keys in Live, there is no sound at all. It does trigger an orange flashing light near the top right corner of the screen to the left of the MIDI button (and the other nonworking key triggers the orange and blue light here).
Sounds like you've accidentally mapped them to something other than notes so un midilearn them.

juanmarivera84

Post by juanmarivera84 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:47 am

I had this issue right now with a code 61 keyboard from M-Audio. I went to preferences/Link MIDI and noticed the keyboard is in the control surface twice. I left the mackie/hui on and switched number 2(usb midi) to none and it solved my issue.

SteveRowe

Post by SteveRowe » Sat May 09, 2020 9:37 am

juanmarivera84 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:47 am
I had this issue right now with a code 61 keyboard from M-Audio. I went to preferences/Link MIDI and noticed the keyboard is in the control surface twice. I left the mackie/hui on and switched number 2(usb midi) to none and it solved my issue.
Brilliant! Solved my issue. I only have my controller listed once in 'Link Midi', an old but efficient Berringer UMX49, but changed the control surface listed to 'none' as you suggested, and voila, my B1 key made sound again. I'd struggled with this for months, so very grateful to be able to work with a full set of keys.

mrhungry

Post by mrhungry » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:03 pm

This was really helpful. I was spending all day trying to figure this out and going crazy. Thanks for taking the time.

baseliner

Post by baseliner » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:17 pm

Hi,

i have the same problem with my Code 49, Key Bb and B (i think its Bb1 and B1) doesn't produce sound but when hitting both keys,
two LED lights (orange and blue) are blinking top right between the Key and Midi entry.... i didn't make any mappings...

I just changed the Gobal Midi Channel from 1 to 2 and that was the solution, thank you very much for the helpful tip!

Nevertheless i wonder what function both keys have on Channel 1 in Live