Cannot UNDO!!!! Only thing in undo is "Change Voice 1 Level"

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mjb1

Cannot UNDO!!!! Only thing in undo is "Change Voice 1 Level"

Post by mjb1 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:18 am

This has just killed me.

I cannot undo anything anymore in my Live 9. Only thing available in Undo is "Change Voice 1 Level." No idea what that would be in relation to my track.

What is going on???!!! I would be incredibly grateful for an answer on this. Undo is just fundamental. Can't work effectively/quickly without it.

Tarekith

Re: Cannot UNDO!!!! Only thing in undo is "Change Voice 1 Level"

Post by Tarekith » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:29 pm

Did you Save your project while you were working on it? In Live 9 that will reset the undo history, in Live 10 this is no longer the case luckily.

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:10 am

Had something similar awhile back where I couldn’t undo anything I wanted. Instead it kept saying it undid some volume parameter. I remember finding it was related to a plugin. It kept trying to undo changes to the plugin even though I did not touch it or made any changes. I eventually just deleted the plugin. I remember the developer said it had something to do with Java. Never tried to resolve to resolve it and just stopped using that plugin.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:29 pm

was 'Voice Level 1' mapped & modulated by a max for live lfo or something?

QSwitch

Post by QSwitch » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:16 pm

I was having much the same problem, but with a different item in the undo list. I found the problem - a Max for Live plugin that's recording every time it triggers. I've got it on several tracks, which means it's as many as a hundred events every second the transport is running. I found a video talking about the same problem with a different M4L plugin, so it seems this is not uncommon with M4L plugins. Someone commented on the vide that it's possible to edit the plugins to remove the unwanted changes from being recorded as events to undo. I'm looking into that now. But I'm also going to alert the creator of the plugin to the problem.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:36 pm

QSwitch wrote:I was having much the same problem, but with a different item in the undo list. I found the problem - a Max for Live plugin that's recording every time it triggers. I've got it on several tracks, which means it's as many as a hundred events every second the transport is running. I found a video talking about the same problem with a different M4L plugin, so it seems this is not uncommon with M4L plugins. Someone commented on the vide that it's possible to edit the plugins to remove the unwanted changes from being recorded as events to undo. I'm looking into that now. But I'm also going to alert the creator of the plugin to the problem.
Don't bother. Its a bug in MFL and has been there for about 10 years now. Ableton doesn't see it as a bug. The plugin creator can't help.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:03 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
QSwitch wrote:I was having much the same problem, but with a different item in the undo list. I found the problem - a Max for Live plugin that's recording every time it triggers. I've got it on several tracks, which means it's as many as a hundred events every second the transport is running. I found a video talking about the same problem with a different M4L plugin, so it seems this is not uncommon with M4L plugins. Someone commented on the vide that it's possible to edit the plugins to remove the unwanted changes from being recorded as events to undo. I'm looking into that now. But I'm also going to alert the creator of the plugin to the problem.
Don't bother. Its a bug in MFL and has been there for about 10 years now. Ableton doesn't see it as a bug. The plugin creator can't help.
It depends on where the issue is coming from the device. In many cases a simple non-persistent mapping solves this kind of issue.
Ableton Forum Moderator

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:07 pm

[jur] wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:
It depends on where the issue is coming from the device. In many cases a simple non-persistent mapping solves this kind of issue.
There are workarounds, but unfortunately they come with trade-offs. Turning off the persistent mapping means you can't store the ID inside the mapping object. In the cases where UI elements are the culprit, the suggestion is to turn off the parameter visibility and subsequently turn off the automation and MIDI Learn function.
Another culprit is rounding errors. If you switch between the amount of decimals in between an observer, ui element and remote, you can get imperceptible changes that trigger undo.

That all said, there may be another way because of dict, live.banks and maybe Max 8's own MIDI Learn. Store paths in a dict blob, limit UI parameter updates with live.banks or avoid them entirely by using Max's MIDI mapping. I wish I had more free time. Live.banks seems perfect for dealing with a load of custom mappings.

brockmra

Post by brockmra » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:04 am

I have had a similar problem which I eventually traced to a plug-in (RX6 De-noise). If I use it in real time, I can't undo anything -- the only editing steps I can see under Undo in Live are (e.g.) "Change threshold 5". There are too many to wade through, and they aren't recorded in the Live undo data file. If I disable the plug-in, Undo starts to work again (but I can't recover older editing steps). You might try turning off your plug-ins one at a time and trying some edits and undos, to see if your problem is something similar. Hope this helps.
Bob

ajfox

Post by ajfox » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:01 am

brockmra,

Thank you so much for posting the culprit and solution to this problem! It was coming from my RX7 Voice De-noise running in real time. I was having the problem with a huge live session and have been trying to figure out what plugin was causing the undo "change threshold 6". Saved me an extensive drag back to the browser and delete process of elimination.

Greatly appreciated!!

AJ

jimmydeluxe

Post by jimmydeluxe » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:25 am

wow, so glad I found this before uninstalling–same here am using rx7–izotope know about this? will email them...

jimmydeluxe

Post by jimmydeluxe » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:36 am

actually, deleting rx6 out of the project didn't help, still no undo

new empty projects, undo no problem

I thought reinstalling helped briefly, but now no undo again on same project

Christian_R

Post by Christian_R » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:44 am

I also have problems with the undo function now, but it only happen while the song is playing. It started to happen just a few days ago, and I'm not sure why because I haven't bought any plugins or anything else for a while. Really strange.

Has anyone found a solution to this? I have Live Suite 9 by the way.

AP

Post by AP » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:59 pm

I came to this thread because cmd z was not undoing my last steps. I read here that some M4L devices were causing the problem so I turned off the M4L skinnerbox I had on a muted track (I had already rendered it to audio on another track). Problem solved. The skinnerbox was doing what it was designed to do, I just hadn't noticed there was automation happening within the device.

It's probably worth sending an email to Skinnerbox to let them now about this issue ;-)

Plumbstone

Post by Plumbstone » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:27 am

Hi Folks, sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I am having a similar situation.

My undo history only says, 'Undo Change "Track Volume" ' if I do undo about 10-20 times it finally undoes the last thing I did.

I am running the latest version of Ableton and this happens with a brand new empty session as well as all old projects. High sierra 10.13.6

I have Audio units and VST plugins turned off, in fact since I upgraded I haven't even scanned them. I have deleted my prefs and undo folder but no joy.

Any ideas?

Thanks