Cannot UNDO!!!! Only thing in undo is "Change Voice 1 Level"

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
siliconarc

Re: Cannot UNDO!!!! Only thing in undo is "Change Voice 1 Level"

Post by siliconarc » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:38 am

are you using Push?

Plumbstone

Post by Plumbstone » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:10 pm

No, I'm not. I am using a NI Kontrol keyboard though. I'll try disconnecting. I have a feeling that will work... Thanks

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:20 pm

Maybe it’s the same issue with the NK that I discovered with Push (confirmed by support but not fixed yet): While recording an encoder‘s movement, accidentally brushing a neighbouring encoder will bug out the undo history, causing each automation node to have its own undo step.

Plumbstone

Post by Plumbstone » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:40 pm

Well that did it but I obviously cant really work with out my keyboard pugged in. I think it must have a dodgy pot and is constantly sending out midi volume data. Anyway thats another problem....

Thanks for your input garyboozy...

kriyananda

Post by kriyananda » Sat May 09, 2020 6:37 pm

Hi there, I'm a brand new Ableton user!

Looks like this is an old problem.... can't undo changes...... and on top of it, my AL 10 Suite crashes every now and then on my MacBook Pro OS X High Sierra 10.13.6.... am I missing some patches/fixes?

I don't use any 3rd party plug-ins, just MfL instruments & fx.....

Now I'm waiting for my AL to restart, but I can't get it restarted..... I hope I haven't thrown a day's work away with this....... so annoying!

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Sat May 09, 2020 10:19 pm

I have lots of problems with UNDO as well. Sometimes it happens I cannot undo even the last action. Can't figure out wqhat is causing it.
"You are what you think you are"
Sadarahu

armas

Post by armas » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:42 pm

Hi everyone,

hijacking this thread too. I have noticed that undo is not working. For example if I resize my track clip size or cut it it does not undo it. It works very randomly. Any idea what is causing this? Will file a support ticker for this too. It started failing after the latest update from Ableton.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:26 pm

IMO undo works. be more patient.

a single action in Live can result in multiple actions being executed. especially things like max4Live devices, as I've read about in other threads.

practice with undo. do ONE action then see how many undos it takes for each. it's usually just one but sometimes it takes more. I have seen what you're talking about, this is my personal take on it.

or post a SIMPLE set of instructions to show something that cannot be undone and we'll show that you found a bug!

trying it out, it's interesting to watch the menu item UNDO "xxxxxx""where "xxxxx" keeps updated with the last action. unfortunately this menu item doesn't update in real time.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

armas

Post by armas » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:07 am

Tone Deft wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:26 pm
IMO undo works. be more patient.

a single action in Live can result in multiple actions being executed. especially things like max4Live devices, as I've read about in other threads.

practice with undo. do ONE action then see how many undos it takes for each. it's usually just one but sometimes it takes more. I have seen what you're talking about, this is my personal take on it.

or post a SIMPLE set of instructions to show something that cannot be undone and we'll show that you found a bug!

trying it out, it's interesting to watch the menu item UNDO "xxxxxx""where "xxxxx" keeps updated with the last action. unfortunately this menu item doesn't update in real time.
To be more explicit, here is a short video clip demonstrating the issue. In this video I resize a clip length and delete a part of it and both times the undo does not work. Also other use cases are inserting and deleting midi notes and editing their length. All these actions can't be undone.

https://streamable.com/sieznh

The "bug" might be related to M4L devices I am using (Dr. Chaos and LFO device that modulates one parameter of it) so might be that every single movement the LFO is making to the Dr Chaos is registered as edit and an undo function, making it so that those cuts and edits are "lost" due the constant movement of the LFO in that certain parameter, making ableton impossible to use otherwise.

Hopefully this clarifies and helps in solving this. Overall Ableton in working as supposed but this use case I have is crippling it. Only workarounds that come to my mind are recording the automation curves of the LFO or recording the audio outcome, and disabling the Dr Chaos and/or LFO.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:52 pm

now that I'm paying more attention to this...

automation in a track absolutely KILLS any ability to undo anything while you're working while playing a track.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

brianjosephmusic

Post by brianjosephmusic » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:30 pm

I hope this can help someone out there, because I went insane about this problem for a while.

The problem for me was that I have a korg midi mixer linked and I noticed the track volume wasn't possible to change, and of course I could not undo anything at all. I solved it by going in midi settings and setting the sync option for the controller, now, I already had it in sync, don't get me wrong, I know it's pretty basic, but I think I might have hit some sort of shortcut to undo this by mistake, what I get from it is that if it's not in sync, then the controller is the master, so to speak, you cannot change it through the DAW, whatever volume you have in the controller is what the DAW is gonna reflect.

I noticed that by unplugging the controller the problem went away, so that's why I thought about checking the midi links.

smclnd

Post by smclnd » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:51 pm

I'm having the same issues with 10.1.17 and and MacOS 10.15.5. However, it seems to come and go and I have not been able to see a pattern

-Sam

concierlo

Post by concierlo » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:41 pm

I have the same issue found by Brockmra.

Running Izotope RX8 in real time.
It's happened in 3 different projects, low track and plugin count. All have RX8 on a simpler.
The undo history only shows "change threshold 6".
Turning off or removing the plugin did not allow me to go back to any editing history that I needed. (From what I can tell- (is there an undo history?)
This is running legit and latest versions of both programs btw.
Catalina 10.15.5

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:11 pm

Every change is recorded to the undo history, just because the last entry isn't the one you think you'\ve made doesn't make it wrong. I a device out a plugin or a controller is continually flooding live with changes you need to work through those changes before you can undo your purposeful last action.

I don't see why after all the comments here no one's really grasped that simple concept.

Cheers
D

concierlo

Post by concierlo » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:09 am

@S4racen I think you're probably 100%.
In my experience though the undo history (in the edit menu) is one step "available" at a time.
So when retracing and trying to get back to a vital/major step, you kind of give up after many minutes of clicking "change threshold 6" over and over.

That's why I asked of there is a history log. I have searched manual and otherwise. I don't know how many steps RX8 is throwing into the history but if that's all it is, then it seems like it's generating multiple of the same ...many.
Your input on this, of course, is appreciated