changing and saving racks; is this an issue?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aratunes

changing and saving racks; is this an issue?

Post by aratunes » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:38 pm

I make tweaks to instrument racks or effects racks and then use the "disk icon" to save (overwriting the existing named version). Then when I open a new set which also uses the SAME rack; the changes are not there.
Question: If a rack has been saved as a preset, why won't it load automatically in all sets using that named version of the rack.

Ara

www.eiss.cool

chrk

Re: changing and saving racks; is this an issue?

Post by chrk » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:12 pm

aratunes wrote:use the "disk icon" to save (overwriting the existing named version)
First, the disk icon saves a copy of the same name to your user library. It does not overwrite a source from the core library or Ableton/partner packs. When you make another tweak and save it again under the same name that copy in the user library is overwritten.
aratunes wrote:Then when I open a new set which also uses the SAME rack; the changes are not there.
Question: If a rack has been saved as a preset, why won't it load automatically in all sets using that named version of the rack.
Once a device or rack is used inside a set or a set template, it's not sourced from the library anymore, so same name is meaningless.

wayouthere

Re: changing and saving racks; is this an issue?

Post by wayouthere » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:30 am

Hi Aratunes, I've seen you post this question on several threads now, and how frustrated you must be with the answers.

Gang, I believe Aratunes' question is, when you hit the "save" Icon for an instrument, instead of saving over the existing copy in the User Library, Ableton wants to create a copy with a different name. To put it in another context, it's the difference between Save and Save As... in your favorite word processing program. If you were to hit the save icon 10 times you'll end up with 11 different copies (the original plus 10 copies) of your instrument rack, named "(my instrument rack)", "(my instrument rack)-1", "(my instrument rack)-1-1", "(my instrument rack)-1-1-1" and so forth up to "(my instrument rack)-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1"

Aratunes, is this your question? I have the same frustration, though I'm a realtively new Ableton user myself, andI have the same question.

I've tried some work-arounds (i.e. renaming the copy back to the original after deleting the original, and right click on the instrument and Save as Default Preset) but neither of these are ideal.