changing and saving racks; is this an issue?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
aratunes

changing and saving racks; is this an issue?

Post by aratunes » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:38 pm

I make tweaks to instrument racks or effects racks and then use the "disk icon" to save (overwriting the existing named version). Then when I open a new set which also uses the SAME rack; the changes are not there.
Question: If a rack has been saved as a preset, why won't it load automatically in all sets using that named version of the rack.

Ara

www.eiss.cool

chrk

Re: changing and saving racks; is this an issue?

Post by chrk » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:12 pm

aratunes wrote:use the "disk icon" to save (overwriting the existing named version)
First, the disk icon saves a copy of the same name to your user library. It does not overwrite a source from the core library or Ableton/partner packs. When you make another tweak and save it again under the same name that copy in the user library is overwritten.
aratunes wrote:Then when I open a new set which also uses the SAME rack; the changes are not there.
Question: If a rack has been saved as a preset, why won't it load automatically in all sets using that named version of the rack.
Once a device or rack is used inside a set or a set template, it's not sourced from the library anymore, so same name is meaningless.