Infinite loop in simpler

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
diegux

Infinite loop in simpler

Post by diegux » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:16 pm

Hi everyone,
I’m trying to loop a warped audio file in simpler (let’s say it’s a drum beat) , and have it loop infinitely so I can trigger it from a drum rack.
The problem is, longest release time in simpler is 60 s so it will slowly fade out. How can I make the release infinite or bypass it? Any workaround?
I tried launching a clip via external instrument and a midi bus and it does work, but I am looking for a more elegant (a simpler) solution.
Thanks for your help. Best!

pottering

Re: Infinite loop in simpler

Post by pottering » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:41 pm

You can use a Hold/Sustain MIDI message, either from a MIDI controller, MIDI CC automation in the Clip with the notes (or a "Dummy Clip"), or a ClyphX MIDI CC action, or a M4L device.

Ableton's founder Robert Henke has a nifty Hold note M4L device in his website (they should think about adding it as default device, or adding Hold to the Note Length device):

http://roberthenke.com/technology/m4l.html

(It is in the "Monolake M4L Devices for Live8" zip file.)

Probably there are other ways, as Ableton Live is just ridiculously flexible.

Just remembered one: you can put a long MIDI note in a Clip, and shorten the Loop Brace, so it loops between the MIDI note ON and OFF, then the note won't retrigger or end. (Or do the reverse and stretch the notes to before and after the Loop Brace's limits)
♥♥♥

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:12 am

If the beat is short enough you can use arpeggiator.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:56 am

pottering wrote:
Just remembered one: you can put a long MIDI note in a Clip, and shorten the Loop Brace, so it loops between the MIDI note ON and OFF, then the note won't retrigger or end. (Or do the reverse and stretch the notes to before and after the Loop Brace's limits)
Yeah, that's a great one. But is there a general way to unloop a clip so it may play out at some point?
Make some music!

pottering

Post by pottering » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:43 am

Stromkraft wrote:
pottering wrote:
Yeah, that's a great one. But is there a general way to unloop a clip so it may play out at some point?
Besides the normal ways of stopping/changing a Clip, if you play the exact same note(s) manually it sends a new Note On when you press (retriggering), and Note Off when you release (stopping the note).

The Clip "Loop" button and the Loop Braces are MIDI assignable (didn't test, but they show the MIDI Assign overlay color in MIDI Map Mode).
♥♥♥

diegux

Post by diegux » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:57 pm

Thanks a lot for your help and thoughts, they helped a lot. Since I needed to toggle the loop on/off from the drumrack, the Robert Henke plugin did not help. I found quite a few midi hold m4l devices but this one does exactly what I need :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l74jwwTPfG4

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:16 pm

pottering wrote: The Clip "Loop" button and the Loop Braces are MIDI assignable (didn't test, but they show the MIDI Assign overlay color in MIDI Map Mode).
Yes, they are but only to specific clips AFAIK. It would be nice with a "current clip" function for clip control like this.
Make some music!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:43 am

*bookmark*