Can't hear an instrument after recording and playing a clip

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
yousefk

Can't hear an instrument after recording and playing a clip

Post by yousefk » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:18 am

I'm not sure if this behaviour was always there but i'm so confused now and surprised didn't find much about this:

I have a channel let's say audio channel for my Synth. if i hit the record button in Ableton, and then after jamming i want to record a clip (in this channel) after recording the clip i can't play or hear my synth anymore, so i can't record a new clip below on the same track, most probably because of "back to arrangement button". But REALLY???

How do people use clips recording for looping an jamming? there is no way to do this? SUPER surprised !

If i'm using midi instrument you still can hear if you are not recording in ableton, only if you are playing. But with Audio tracks you wan't be able to hear or play audio if a clip is launched on the same channel.

Please help !!
Cheers
Yousef

yur2die4

Re: Can't hear an instrument after recording and playing a clip

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:28 pm

Have one channel dedicated to instrument input. Set Monitor to On. Output still set to Master.

Any channel you record to set Monitor to OFF. Also set the input as being From the instrument channel.

Now the instrument channel will be always active, while recording can easily record and play back material. Also since Monitor on the recording channels is set to Off, you won’t get doubling up of audio. Once you create one recording channel, you can easily duplicate it for multiple layers of recording.

yousefk

Post by yousefk » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:05 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Have one channel dedicated to instrument input. Set Monitor to On. Output still set to Master.

Any channel you record to set Monitor to OFF. Also set the input as being From the instrument channel.

Now the instrument channel will be always active, while recording can easily record and play back material. Also since Monitor on the recording channels is set to Off, you won’t get doubling up of audio. Once you create one recording channel, you can easily duplicate it for multiple layers of recording.
Hi :)

Thank you for your tip, this indeed might be easier than to have just one channel and after each loop duplicate it. But still, it's super weird how there is really no way to stay on one channel and after recording a clip to be able to hear yourself still and record another clip below it.

Anyway, i'll see what i can do,
Cheers

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:53 pm

yousefk wrote: If i'm using midi instrument you still can hear if you are not recording in ableton, only if you are playing. But with Audio tracks you wan't be able to hear or play audio if a clip is launched on the same channel.
MIDI data is not like audio data, so this is natural and not weird at all. You're basically asking for an audio mixer inside each mixer track. You can actually have this if you group your audio tracks or use an audio buss. This is mixing 101.

If you know of any other DAW that does this as you suggest, let us know.

Live may appear weird from time to time, but it's better to just roll with it.
Make some music!

yousefk

Post by yousefk » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:42 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
yousefk wrote: If i'm using midi instrument you still can hear if you are not recording in ableton, only if you are playing. But with Audio tracks you wan't be able to hear or play audio if a clip is launched on the same channel.
MIDI data is not like audio data, so this is natural and not weird at all. You're basically asking for an audio mixer inside each mixer track. You can actually have this if you group your audio tracks or use an audio buss. This is mixing 101.

If you know of any other DAW that does this as you suggest, let us know.

Live may appear weird from time to time, but it's better to just roll with it.
I didn't mean it's weird in terms of Ableton as a daw, i meant it was weird for me as i always thought that's how everybody do it, and then to find out there is no way to do it unless you make more channels.

I don't need to compare it with other DAWs and i'm not underestimating Ableton here, i appreciate it more than you think :)

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:09 am

There are actually advantages to this method, especially for live performance and improve.

If everything was on one channel, then if you were to say, change effects on guitar or vocals, it would apply to the entire channel at any moment. But with separate channels, you can do different ‘parts’ recorded to different channels with different fx being applied from the ‘instrument’ channel. And while they’re playing you can switch to yet another effect and play a live ditty without the current effect applying to the previously recorded layers.

sobrn

Post by sobrn » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:05 am

dmyra

Post by dmyra » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:35 am

Is this still like this? I feel this is a Mandela Effect situation. I swear i remember doing exactly this. Recording from session to mix midi clips and improvising on the same channel. And it would make these long clips with the original pattern there but one long clip and the improv material on top.
I have the muscle memory of this, its offputting.
Strom, a mixer in each track? why isnt it just another stream of midi data?
I record midi clip from session to midi clip in mix and want to add live midi notes on top.
Thanks cheers good vibes