Ableton Live 9.7 hangs on startup

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
AgentZX48k

Ableton Live 9.7 hangs on startup

Post by AgentZX48k » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:34 am

When trying to start Ableton Live, it freezes when scanning the plugins. I have Native Instruments Komplete 10 installed and it seems several of these are causing problems (I also have a few other VST's).

I tried uinstalling Live and installing again, but that didn't help. I also tried running JBridge again, and that took forever and also crashed my computer. Then I deleted the preferences file in the "hidden" Ableton folder under "Users" in Windows, and Ableton did indeed start. When scanning the VST folder, however, it crashed again.

Renoise 3.0 is also crashing when I'm trying to load plugins, btw.

Any thoughts?

Bdumaguina

Re: Ableton Live 9.7 hangs on startup

Post by Bdumaguina » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:56 am

Setup your Options.txt file with
-NoVstStartupScan

C:\Users\********\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live 9.*.*\Preferences

And see if you're still crashing on start up.

If you don't crash on start up, go ahead an manually rescan your VST folder via Preferences, File/Folder Tab and hit Rescan.

If you crash, then one of your VSTs are the culprit. If you're running 64 bit Live in a 64 bit Windows (windows 10 or Windows 7), you should be running 64 bit VSTs. Try to remove 32 bit VSTs, and double check if some of them are misplaced in your 64 bit VST folder. Also try to remove JBridged 32 bit VSTs first.

Repeat Ableton start up with no VST scan. Didn't crash? Manually Rescan. Didn't crash? Then a JBridged VST is your problem.
If it crashed, then unfortunately you have to do your process of elimination and find the 64 bit VST culprit.
If this happened just lately, maybe you installed a plug in that's giving you problems.

Hope this helps.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:51 pm

Get rid of Jbridge, it's probably the issue.

You need to post what plugins are causing the crash or get in touch with Ableton with a crashlog who can advise what the cause is.

AgentZX48k

Post by AgentZX48k » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:30 pm

Bdumaguina wrote:Setup your Options.txt file with
-NoVstStartupScan

C:\Users\********\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live 9.*.*\Preferences

And see if you're still crashing on start up.

If you don't crash on start up, go ahead an manually rescan your VST folder via Preferences, File/Folder Tab and hit Rescan.

If you crash, then one of your VSTs are the culprit. If you're running 64 bit Live in a 64 bit Windows (windows 10 or Windows 7), you should be running 64 bit VSTs. Try to remove 32 bit VSTs, and double check if some of them are misplaced in your 64 bit VST folder. Also try to remove JBridged 32 bit VSTs first.

Repeat Ableton start up with no VST scan. Didn't crash? Manually Rescan. Didn't crash? Then a JBridged VST is your problem.
If it crashed, then unfortunately you have to do your process of elimination and find the 64 bit VST culprit.
If this happened just lately, maybe you installed a plug in that's giving you problems.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, I'll try that out now.
jestermgee wrote:Get rid of Jbridge, it's probably the issue.

You need to post what plugins are causing the crash or get in touch with Ableton with a crashlog who can advise what the cause is.
But without JBridge, it's impossible to run 64bit plugins, isn't it? Do you notice a big difference between 32bit and 64bit plugins?

pottering

Post by pottering » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:19 pm

You obviously need to check your VSTs.

It is not JBridge by itself. I used it years (and still use it), in Live 9 and Live 10.

I bet it is a VST you don't even use, otherwise you would have noticed earlier any problem, as crappy VSTs also tend to crash when loaded or removed.
♥♥♥

AgentZX48k

Post by AgentZX48k » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:58 am

So, I tried various things, and then I realised my Native Instruments plugins were also installed
in a folder in the NI directory.
So I just copied those into the VST folder, and now they work. Is there any reason why one shouldn't
just copy them over like that?

Thanks again for the help :)