audio engine issues,.automatically reconnect input/outputs?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
danny klim

audio engine issues,.automatically reconnect input/outputs?

Post by danny klim » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:50 pm

Hi, Ableton Live audio engine constantly has issues for me, Could you please help?

I have been having this issue since starting to use regularly ableton about 8 months ago. Before I used ableton, i used logic, and I also remember experiencing some similar issues with Logic ‘dropping’ my audio device/interface/engine. I use an aggregate device usually, but i think i have noticed the issue happening when i just use my audio interface as well. It requires me to go back into the settings of ableton to manually reconnect it my audio device/interface every time it happens . I emailed with Ableton support about this a couple months ago and they recommended turning off sleep, which i did, but the error still happens very often. Has happened 3 times in 15 minutes on the computer today! Is this normal/expected or Is it just me?

Sometimes the audio engine is still running fine but it drops multiple ports. It requires me to manually click each box to make it yellow again (see below):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g4yvbg2cc65qv ... 2.png?dl=0

Sometimes i get an error notification and need to switch back the correct interface and then manually click each box again. Notification below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qyt7x4jp9wslj ... 0.png?dl=0

Is this a common issue? What can i do to stop it from happening? Or what can i do to automate the recovery process so that it doesn't take so long to manually fix?

Thanks.

jestermgee

Re: audio engine issues,.automatically reconnect input/outputs?

Post by jestermgee » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:37 am

It could be a driver issue with your (unnamed) interface.

I get similar issues if I have an audio program crash which locks up the ASIO driver. Sometimes just leaving my interface on for days (Roland Octacapture) also causes it to not work correctly with the ASIO driver some some insane reason and it will just say ASIO is unavailable for the device etc.

The fix is to just close Live down, power cycle the interface and it's all good again. The issue with live though is if you started it and the interface was not available, it will not be selected automatically when it is available so you need to set it again in the audio setup. There was a thread about this which if you do mobile work would get on your nerves after some years.

If it's not that kind of issue then not sure.

danny klim

Re: audio engine issues,.automatically reconnect input/outputs?

Post by danny klim » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:22 pm

Ok i'll try that, thanks! The interface is a focusrite scarlett 18i20, btw