RECORDING MIDI FILES FROM SNYTHS

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Needs2Know

RECORDING MIDI FILES FROM SNYTHS

Post by Needs2Know » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:40 pm

I was wonderinig what the capabilities are of Live as far as recording midi and capturing it in loop form. I did what any noobie did and went out and got some expensive gear and now am attempting to make music. I have a EMX-1(drum/snyth machine), K-Station(snyth), G4 laptop(Mac computer), and a midi sport 2X2.

My biggest question is lets say you set live 4.0 input to acept on "all midi channels" ok... then you do something on your snth while its recording and you move some knobs around on the snyth. Will Live 4.0 record the note you played and the knobs you were moving? Also is there a way to record a midi loop into live 4.0 that will tell the snth what saved program to jump to?

I have the demo right now and need to know if live can do the three things above i mentioned before i spend $400. so 3 things:
1) note you strike/velocity etc (thats seems to be the only thing the man talks about so this one i know it can do)
2) knobs you move around on the snyth
3) program you want the snyth to jump to before performing the first two functions

Please someone help me!
LOGIC PRO 7.2 w/ G4 1.67 1.5G RAM . Mac OSX 10.4.8, LIVE 6.0, Virus TI Keyboard, Korg EMX1, AXIOM 25 and Keystation Pro 88 midi controllers, Midisport 2x2 midi interface, UltraLite audio interface and 1 Rode NT3 mic "check, check".

Komplex

Post by Komplex » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:25 am

It will record the notes/velocities and any cc parametres the knobs send.

Needs2Know

Post by Needs2Know » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:10 am

ok so would "cc parametres" include the program preset in the synth? Like lets say one midi loop was recorded on program 300, while another was recorded from program 301. Will triggering the second loop from Live 4.0 change the program from 300 to 301? If so wouldnt there be a time delay?

Maybe I sould just make samples from the snths and then tell live to play from the sampler. Would that be better???
LOGIC PRO 7.2 w/ G4 1.67 1.5G RAM . Mac OSX 10.4.8, LIVE 6.0, Virus TI Keyboard, Korg EMX1, AXIOM 25 and Keystation Pro 88 midi controllers, Midisport 2x2 midi interface, UltraLite audio interface and 1 Rode NT3 mic "check, check".

Komplex

Post by Komplex » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:27 am

No it won't record what program/patch you used. You will have to enter it in for each clip or just change it manually on your synth. Also if the knobs on your synth don't send CC parametres, it won't be recorded. I'm pretty sure that you can't record the tweaks you do on your EMX because they send NRPN instead of CC. (unless they have changed it since the old electribes...)

How about record what you play on the synths into audio clips in live? They are basically used as "patterns" and you can mess them up, cut it up and pick and choose which bits to play, when and how and alter the audio with efx and whatnot...

Needs2Know

ok dude i hope you feel me on this

Post by Needs2Know » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:28 am

ok i was just thinking along the lines of make an arrangement using midi loops and then just trigger the sequence after i get the arrangement and then hit play and record the arangement as one file. or if i was doing everything midi in a live setting i could reach over to my snyth and turn some knobs while its playing the recorded midi file. but QUESTION:

if you record a midi loop and lets say that you start that loop in Live and ok it starts manipulating the synth, if you go to move a knob while its doing that that knob "jump" to the position you start to move it at? in other words if the knob was recorded at a setting of we'll say all the way to the left and its all the way to the right, when i go to move it while its playing that midi loop i dont want it to "JUMP" to the full right position. i want to either INC or DEC that parameter. Do you have to have a certain peice of hardware that has round knobs that do that? Seems to me that snyths should have knobs that dont have stopping positions. But instead knobs that go clockwise or counterclock wise as an INC or DEC function. HELP ME! lol

ive also thought about what you said about making the audio loops in Live and using effects. thats a good idea 2 but maybe ill want to do both. i thought about how cool it would be to just do away with presets all together. go around with a microphone and record whatever and make my own huge archeives of drums/grooves/vocals etc. Thoughts?