How to get clean kicks and 808 or audio overall in ableton?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
externalmicrophone

How to get clean kicks and 808 or audio overall in ableton?

Post by externalmicrophone » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:25 am

My audio sounds distorted, i have about 120, 808's i've tried, and they all sound quiet with the melody, but when i try to turn it up it's distorted, same with the kicks.

Hi-hats and snares are fine.

There is an example of clean 808's and kicks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FozUuMh_mNw

Can somebody help me with that? Thanks.

jestermgee

Re: How to get clean kicks and 808 or audio overall in ableton?

Post by jestermgee » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:35 am

Turn down everything else?

If you have tried 100 odd kicks and they all sound distorted then you kind of need to change your approach.

justanametouse

Post by justanametouse » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:02 pm

externalmicrophone wrote:My audio sounds distorted, i have about 120, 808's i've tried, and they all sound quiet with the melody, but when i try to turn it up it's distorted, same with the kicks.

Definitely sounds like you have whatever melodies are playing taking up a significant amount of headroom. By tossing in a big, subby 808, that's just gonna clip your levels. Rule of thumb for kick-heavy music is to place the level of the kick at a good volume, lets just arbitrarily say -5 dB, and mix everything else in relation to that. Again, that's not always the best practice, but just working off a hunch, that may be a helpful approach for you.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:20 pm

justanametouse wrote:
externalmicrophone wrote:My audio sounds distorted, i have about 120, 808's i've tried, and they all sound quiet with the melody, but when i try to turn it up it's distorted, same with the kicks.

Definitely sounds like you have whatever melodies are playing taking up a significant amount of headroom. By tossing in a big, subby 808, that's just gonna clip your levels. Rule of thumb for kick-heavy music is to place the level of the kick at a good volume, lets just arbitrarily say -5 dB, and mix everything else in relation to that. Again, that's not always the best practice, but just working off a hunch, that may be a helpful approach for you.
Yup - great rule of thumb. I usually go for -10-12db and mix everything around that. Usually works like a charm.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:16 pm

Are you clipping the master?

Are you referring to actual distortion or muddiness?

If you hear distortion, something is overloading (plug in, audio interface, speakers)

A blown speaker could be the culprit. Does headphones or different speakers sound better? Distortion is a more technical problem where the solution is probably something I listed above.

Muddiness is a different issue (a mixing/arranging issue)

That said it is totally possible to mix something that sounds great on your system that sounds distorted on another perfectly working system. This is often a mix translation issue.

Muddiness and mix translation is a somewhat complex subject that could be a variety of issues where the ultimate culprit is usually your mixing/arranging decisions + your monitoring environment influencing your mixing/arranging decisions.