Locator (Marker) in MIDI editor

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
8E

Locator (Marker) in MIDI editor

Post by 8E » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:36 pm

Is there any way to put a marker in the MIDI editor, or at least to have the same marker visible in the editor as in the Arrangement?
Last edited by 8E on Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacOS Mojave MacBook Pro (15", Mid 2015), 2,5 GHz i7, 16GB RAM
Live Suite 10-latest + Push 1
U-PHORIA UMC204HD

justanametouse

Re: Marker in MIDI editor

Post by justanametouse » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:50 pm

I'm assuming you're referring to the locators. It seems like this has been asked a few times over the years and that's it's just not possible. The best advice I can give is to consolidate the locator sections in the Arrangement View and paste the into their own Session View scene. It would be a fairly quick process and allow you to jump to whichever section you'd like.

Another option, if you have Suite 9.7 or higher, could be this:

https://isotonikstudios.com/product/follow/

I admit that I'm not very familiar with that product, but it may be worth researching a bit to see if it can do anything for you.

8E

Post by 8E » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:34 pm

I need just to sync the Locator (yes you are correct about the terminology, sorry for that) between the Arrangement view and the Clip view.

The locators should be available in the both views. I don't know about the Session, here I refer to the Clip view that is missing the locator.
U-PHORIA UMC204HD

pottering

Post by pottering » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:27 pm

Clips in Arrangement and Session view are completely separate and independent of each other (despite looking the same when you copy from one to other).

Even if you could put a Locator in a Clip itself in Arrangement (not possible), it would not be put in any Clip in Session, they are not linked.
♥♥♥

justanametouse

Post by justanametouse » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:54 pm

pottering wrote:Clips in Arrangement and Session view are completely separate and independent of each other (despite looking the same when you copy from one to other).

Even if you could put a Locator in a Clip itself in Arrangement (not possible), it would not be put in any Clip in Session, they are not linked.
^^ What they've said. It's a bit deceiving, but despite appearing the same, the clips between the two views are independent. A "quirk" I had to wrap my head around when I first started using Live.

8E

Post by 8E » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:37 am

pottering wrote:Clips in Arrangement and Session view are completely separate and independent of each other (despite looking the same when you copy from one to other).

Again, I am not talking about the Session View at all. I talk about the CLIP EDITOR VIEW and ARRANGEMENT VIEW.

I believe that the locator should be available in the both mentioned views. A MIDI note in the Clip View is visible with its position in the Arrangement view = even if these are "completely separate and independent", yet they are not.
It takes so much time to locate, to position, and to fine tune MIDI notes because of just lacking of the locators.

U-PHORIA UMC204HD

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:06 pm

8E wrote:
I believe that the locator should be available in the both mentioned views. A MIDI note in the Clip View is visible with its position in the Arrangement view = even if these are "completely separate and independent", yet they are not.
It takes so much time to locate, to position, and to fine tune MIDI notes because of just lacking of the locators.
Yes, but you could make your request easier to understand by acknowledging that these are separate markers that are logically connected. This is easier to understand than that they denote the same positions, which they of course don't. I don't think you meant this, but it kinda sounded as if so.

As an example to guide other readers about what we're talking about here (you probably fully understand this): If you have a 4 bar loop running for 16 bars in Arrangement, then bar 2, 6, 10 and 14 in Arrangement view is bar 2 in the clip view. That's the logical connection. Different positions belong together depending on length of the clip and the length of placement in Arrangement.

In Live 9 and 10 when you place the marker in Arrangement on 6.1.1 and press spacebar playback starts from bar 2 in a 4 bar clip. To start from the clip view, place the marker and press alt-spacebar (At least in macOS it's alt that is the modifier key).

If you select an area in the Clip view, containing notes or not, you'll see that in Arrangement View.

As I explained elsewhere to you only in Live 10 when you make a selection in Arrangement is that reflected in the Clip view in that it zooms to the selection there.

There may be other small differences in Live 10 as well in the relationships between Arrangement view and Clip View. I cannot say if it's reasonable to ask to implement something like this in 9 as well, but no hurt in talking about what we want, right? I'm all for it anyway.
Make some music!

broc

Post by broc » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:15 pm

8E wrote: A MIDI note in the Clip View is visible with its position in the Arrangement view
Not true generally, but only if the clip starts at bar 1 in the arrangement.

8E

Post by 8E » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:23 pm

broc wrote:
8E wrote: A MIDI note in the Clip View is visible with its position in the Arrangement view
Not true generally, but only if the clip starts at bar 1 in the arrangement.
And if not...?
...Where is the note located than? So if it is not fixed it means ...it can be anywhere? So -- where is the note?

Sorry I am sarcastic now, but this is ridiculous. You can have one-note-clip and move it anywhere in the Arrangement View, and it will have its fixed position in the Arrangement view.

A note has its position on the timeline (the Arrangement View) regardless of the Clip length, and so has the Locator its position on the timeline.
Here I am asking to have the Locator visible in both views. If you put that note over the Locator, the locator would appear in the Clip Editor. That is the whole point.

English is not my native language, and I apologise for that; but lack of imagination and hasty answers without reading seems to be problem in this thread.
U-PHORIA UMC204HD

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:20 pm

8E wrote:
A note has its position on the timeline (the Arrangement View) regardless of the Clip length, and so has the Locator its position on the timeline.
Here I am asking to have the Locator visible in both views. If you put that note over the Locator, the locator would appear in the Clip Editor. That is the whole point.

English is not my native language, and I apologise for that; but lack of imagination and hasty answers without reading seems to be problem in this thread.
I thought you talked about insert markers, start markers and similar. Locators? That doesn't make much sense to have those in the clip view as Locators are only relevant on the Arrangement Timeline and a clip may be looped. Should a locator at 1.1.1 be dropped on the second loop of a 4 bar clip playing in 16 bars? What else from the Arrangement timeline should be visible in Clip View?

Why not then put the whole clip editor on the Arrangement timeline? You'd lose the overview of course. No.

How about an Arrangement position info box in Clip view? That wouldn't be confusing and Clip View and Arrangement would remain separate, yet the logical connections would be explicit.
Make some music!

bafometh

Post by bafometh » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:26 am

Stromkraft wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:20 pm

I thought you talked about insert markers, start markers and similar. Locators? That doesn't make much sense to have those in the clip view as Locators are only relevant on the Arrangement Timeline and a clip may be looped. Should a locator at 1.1.1 be dropped on the second loop of a 4 bar clip playing in 16 bars? What else from the Arrangement timeline should be visible in Clip View?

Why not then put the whole clip editor on the Arrangement timeline? You'd lose the overview of course. No.

How about an Arrangement position info box in Clip view? That wouldn't be confusing and Clip View and Arrangement would remain separate, yet the logical connections would be explicit.
+1 to the author of this thread. Its not actually a locator, but when you pause the track you can see the playback position vertical line:

But we can't set it manually to align with audio clip in the Arrangement view. E.g. there is some audio in the other track, and i wan't to put this marker/locator exactly at the specific time position of the audio file to see, where this line will be in the midi clip placed in the particular place of the sequencer in the Arrangement view. Definitely clips could be looped and while playing 16 bars in arrangement view i am expecting to see this marker/locator coming over and over the 4 bars midi clip 4 times in a row. It works partially, and i can see desired when tapping pause, but what if it comes to manual precise alignment?

Other possible solution is to have a midi clip timecode, to align it with audio clip timecode itself (surely, considering all warping, stretching and main track bpm).

But what should be used for this task as of now, while we do not have any of the described features?