Vocal pedal

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Berries and cream

Vocal pedal

Post by Berries and cream » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:27 am

So I was curious. I have a vocal pedal. (Tc Helicon Mic Mechanic) Can I use the pedal with Ableton while trying to record? I am hoping this can cut down on some of the compressors and other hardware I would possibly have to purchase. I’m just starting out and looking to eventually one day have good equipment, but for now I’m on a budget. Also what would be an excellent budget studio mic?

justanametouse

Re: Vocal pedal

Post by justanametouse » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:27 am

Berries and cream wrote:So I was curious. I have a vocal pedal. (Tc Helicon Mic Mechanic) Can I use the pedal with Ableton while trying to record? I am hoping this can cut down on some of the compressors and other hardware I would possibly have to purchase. I’m just starting out and looking to eventually one day have good equipment, but for now I’m on a budget. Also what would be an excellent budget studio mic?
Potentially dumb question, but do you have an audio interface? If you want to record audio into Ableton (or any DAW, really), that's a must have. As far as mics go, a dynamic mic like the Shure SM58 would be great if you plan on doubling its use for live situations (it's about as much of an industry standard as you can get for that). If you're sticking with studio use only, I'd suggest looking for a condenser mic (assuming your interface has phantom power - most do, but you never know). The Audio-Technica AT2020 would be my sub $100 pick in that case.

I also don't see any reason why you can use that pedal for recording, although it doesn't seem to do anything that couldn't be done with Ableton's internal effects. It's usually best to record your vocals dry and apply effects processing afterwards. As far as the actual process of recording goes, here's a short video to get you going:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYmurFPHqKo
Last edited by justanametouse on Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.