All samples sounding like white noise! Help.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sarveshkorde

All samples sounding like white noise! Help.

Post by sarveshkorde » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:59 pm

So on purchasing my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, I was served with an Ableton Live Lite licence.
I have been producing music on other DAWs but saw this as an opportunity to learn Ableton as well.

Here is the problem -

My samples sound like white noise in Ableton. When I audition the same audio file in other DAWs, they sound as they should be.
Even when I drag the samples in Arrangement view or Sampler/Simpler with any algorithm, they still sound like white noise.
Here you can listen to the audio files. https://clyp.it/user/mktoloin
I haven't found any solution to this.

Here are my prefs -
Using ASIO drivers with buffer size at 512 samples
Project sample rate: 48k

Thanks in advance.

Respect.

jestermgee

Re: All samples sounding like white noise! Help.

Post by jestermgee » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:16 am

File format?
Bitrate/samplerate?
OS?

sarveshkorde

Post by sarveshkorde » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:13 am

jestermgee wrote:File format?
Bitrate/samplerate?
OS?
File Format - Wav
Bit Depth - 24 bit
Sample rate - 44.1K
Operating System - Windows 10 Pro (x64)

Please also note the following-
Ableton Project Sample rate - 48K
Other DAWs Project Sample Rate - 48K

But still Ableton giving problems.

dougdi

Post by dougdi » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:04 pm

It sounds like the sample rate is the issue. But Ableton should play mixed rate files fine normally. What happens if you change the sample rate to 44.1? Does the waveform look distorted after you import the file into Live? You could try reinstalling Live. If that doesn’t solve it I would look into Windows drivers and hardware.
DD
Doug

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:10 pm

sarveshkorde wrote: My samples sound like white noise in Ableton. When I audition the same audio file in other DAWs, they sound as they should be.
Even when I drag the samples in Arrangement view or Sampler/Simpler with any algorithm, they still sound like white noise.
Are your Wav files perhaps in unsupported Wav format like RF64? That would not be compatible with Live. What's the source of these samples?

When I tried a converted RF64 file in Live 9 I couldn't even add it so maybe not that one. I'd suggest this is a compatibility issue if other third party samples sound alright. What about native samples that came with Live?
Make some music!

sarveshkorde

Post by sarveshkorde » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:38 pm

dougdi wrote:It sounds like the sample rate is the issue. But Ableton should play mixed rate files fine normally. What happens if you change the sample rate to 44.1? Does the waveform look distorted after you import the file into Live? You could try reinstalling Live. If that doesn’t solve it I would look into Windows drivers and hardware.
DD
If the sample rate was the issue it should also reflect in my primary DAW. But I guess the samples are fine.
Yes, the waveform looks distorted and sounds like noise when imported or auditioned in Ableton.
When I change the Ableton Project settings to 44.1, the problem still persists.
First thing I did was to reinstall Live. But that didn't fix my issue.
I am not using default audio drivers. I have connected a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and using Focusrite ASIO drivers.

Hope you can analyse the situation with this information.
Thank you.

sarveshkorde

Post by sarveshkorde » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:43 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
sarveshkorde wrote: My samples sound like white noise in Ableton. When I audition the same audio file in other DAWs, they sound as they should be.
Are your Wav files perhaps in unsupported Wav format like RF64? That would not be compatible with Live. What's the source of these samples?

When I tried a converted RF64 file in Live 9 I couldn't even add it so maybe not that one. I'd suggest this is a compatibility issue if other third party samples sound alright. What about native samples that came with Live?
The samples I am trying to use are in WAV file format. The source of these files is Image-Line FL Studio. These samples come bundled with the software.
The samples work perfectly fine in FL Studio and Pro Tools First. Only Ableton is creating issues.

The native Ableton samples work fine.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:04 pm

sarveshkorde wrote: The samples I am trying to use are in WAV file format. The source of these files is Image-Line FL Studio.
How have you determined they are not extended? Wav is a container format as you say. Internally you have an audio codec like "Linear PCM".

If other third party samples and native samples sound OK, you have a compatibility issue and likely there's nothing wrong with your installation or OS.

Now, of course the cause doesn't have to be what I suggest above, but it's likely something with the files, therefore it's a good idea to find out exactly what they are by opening them in a sample editor app like ocenaudio.

You can read way more details about the Wav file format than you need to know here in the article WAVE PCM soundfile format.

Later:

A friend of a friend coming by the studio had FL studio on the laptop so we tested a handful of samples belonging to some FL plug-ins in Live — because I'm curious and we were waiting — and they all worked in Live. They also opened into Ocenaudio as old fashioned Wav file format files with "Linear PCM" codec.

When I've encountered something similar the samples were protected, much like how many Live pack samples won't play in sample instruments. Are you sure these aren't protected?

I can't be sure those samples I tested are among those you have a problem with. I know little about FL Studio except for this now.
What played the samples you refer to in Pro Tools? Just as audio in tracks? Or in some sample instrument?

You could test these samples on another machine with Live if you have access to one.
Make some music!